Training a 10 Year Old to Lunge *ADVICE NEEDED*

Quote:
Honestly, if he's a ranch broke horse, I wouldn't bother. It goes against everything he's been taught. Going around in circles will be utterly boring and pointless for him and may do more harm than good.

I would do a few of the Parelli games like moving off pressure, side-passing in hand but he should be fine.

I think anything that stimulates their mind is a good thing, sure he'll be confused at first, but horses are smart and can learn easily once they understand what you are asking. Now I don't lunge a horse in mindless circles, I do it to gain control of the feet by changing direction often. The're are many reasons to lunge such as to check an off gait, to teach a horse to move forward, to help train another person to ride a horse etc.. etc. Just don't lunge in mindless circles, it's boring for a horse... people to for that matter aswell. I taught my horse tricks, ... no I'm never going to be in a Trick Horse show etc... but it helped stimulate his mind. He learned I was asking for a specific task, and when he did it, he was rewarded. It made it much easier to teach him other things, because he understood their was a task to what I was asking him to do.

Back
Top Bottom