Training a 10 Year Old to Lunge *ADVICE NEEDED*

Another thought... have you used a round pen and liberty??? I will see if I can get a video snip for you to show the skill I am talkng about... Mustangs when I get them have an instinct similar to this...It is possible this is his first lunging experience... Cow bred horses can be pretty smart and that works against them like this at times.. the peppy san horses I have worked with were overthinkers. Let me know if you understand what I was trying to describe or if a visual aid would help...

I know, and I agree with everything you said - I just thought it funny that two folks are married and have very, very different ideas about it.

Not to say married people always think the same, but I have seen couples where their 'horsey ideas' were very different, and I always want to stay in the truck when they both have shotguns....

JUUUUUUST kidding!

The most shocking case being, where the fellow was the one who did not want 'His Sweet Babies' out in the snow, where she was the one stripping off extra blankets and yelling, 'They need to be manly horses!!!!!'

Quote:
gig.gif
So very true.

I think it depends upon the horse. There are some horses - ranch horses - I personally would not lunge. I have had others who seem to need it as part of their day.

Quote:
I have learned that sometimes knowing why can be helpful in helping others with training. IS this extra energy she is trying to "get out of the horse" OR does she want to teach the horse something while lunging (slow down during the trot or extend it - for example)?

Quote:
Let's veer back on topic, please. The OP is asking for assistance - anyone else have any words of wisdom?

There have been a number of really good ones - focus on moving forward, use round pen, use long lines, a ground person and rider working together.

Having just arrived home from vacation despite the best efforts of lake-effect snow, I will add something I've found useful on horses like that, if you really really gotta get them to longe:

Do what a previous poster said, start small, on a long leadrope if the horse is really bad... but rather than immediately trying to get the horse circling you, instead teach him to "lead" out in front of you, with you walking first by his shoulder, then by his barrel, then by his hip, then even actually almost behind him, horse temperament and leadrope length permitting. This requires good judgement as to what's sensible to do with a particular horse at a particular moment of course. But it is very useful if your experience level is sufficient.

You end up sort of ground-driving or long-lining the horse with just the one leadrope, albeit with little ability to turn away from you. Once you have (usually over several to many sessions) worked up to the horse being comfortable with this, and with you moving around so sometimes you're by his shoulder and sometimes further back, I find that it is usually a pretty smooth transition to switch to a longe line or long rein (for the additional length) and get the horse going *around* you.

You do need to be sure your body language and your own position (relative to his shoulder) is not inadvertantly turning him back, too.

BTW I do the early stages of this, where you are just leading from behind so to speak, in just a halter (no bridle no tack). Alternatively I suppose you could use a proper longe caveson if you especially wanted, but I don't believe I've ever done it that way.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
A seasoned trainer told us that with rescues and rehomed horses, it is necessary to have a round pen to start re-training. Also, my Duke is scared to death of the long whip. Someone did him some harm at one time or another.

I would first practice with him in learning to move his forequarters away from you (head, neck, shoulder). Many do this by using either a stiff long whip or stick. Using the stick, rub the horses face, then tap the air near the horses cheek or nose a few feet away, if the horses doesn't move or if he backs up increase the tapping and shorten the distance ( move with the horse). If the horse still doesn't move or backs up, then tap the horse, nose or cheek until the horse gets the picutre he is suppose to move something over. As soon as the horse moves over STOP. Then rub him with the stick. Repeat....... The horse will not get head shy if you keep rubbing him in a kind manner before and after. One he has mastered moving off away from you, combine that with moving off and then going forward around you.

Last edited:
Hey all thanks for all the input and advice. Please dont argue though. Like its been stated there are people that approve of lunging and people that dont. I probably should have explained earlier that I like my horses to lunge just because its usually a good thing to know IMO. Personally I prefer round pen work but I need to buy and set up one when I have some extra cash, and I havent been able to trailer my gelding anywhere cuz the trailer needed work, but now its fixed
woot.gif
. Though I suspect off lead he will react the same. I normally dont need to lunge before riding cuz my horses "ride the same every time" but id still like him to know lunging just in case. Also he was a ranch horse but now I just use him for trails. When ive tried lunging he acts a little bit nervous but more confused at what im asking. Ive also tried driving but that just ends up being a mess. Anyways I cant wait to try some of this stuff out.

You know what, IMO too many people longe who shouldn't (it can be done to very useful ends, but an awful lot of people just create or further-ingrain problems by clueless longeing, and I say this as someone who is not the most brilliant at it either!)... and yet I still think that it is quite smart for you to want to know how to change or work around your horse's tendency to turn and face you. It's a perfectly good question even if you were never ACTUALLY going to longe him for real at all
tongue.png
Seriously. It is GOOD to learn more about how to rearrange your horse's body, so to speak, and how to rearrange his mind.

So I definitely think it's something worth fooling around with. Since it sounds like you have no pressing urgent need to longe him no matter what, I would suggest starting with some of the closer-in and slower approaches, getting the communication going between you and him. And then see where you stand.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom