Training a chicken

missychicky

Songster
12 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Portland, OR
We are moving from a more country style area to a city suburb and am concerned about my RIR. Every day around noon she tells the WHOLE world about her egg. The city we are moving to has a law that chickens are ilegal If someone complains about them but legal until that happens. I don't think my hens "anouncement" will be appreciated. Is there any way at all to train a chicken not to make a racket every time she lays an egg? Thanks.

Bribe your neighbors with some eggs - or some terrific organic "fertilizer" for their lawns and gardens, if they don't like eggs. Otherwise, free-ranging helps keep noisy hens quiet. I find my hens are very quiet egg-songsters when free-ranging. Some of them don't even sing the egg song at all when they are ranging the backyard. They just visit the nest, lay the egg, eat some feed, and emerge from coop -- all very quiet and stealth, they seem intent on getting back to their foraging as soon as possible. Confined to their run, though, and they make a huge long racket with the egg-song, plus other sqwacking and obnoxious noises. Your immediate neighbors will probably be the only ones hearing anything - and they may be okay with it, as long as you let them know. I've also found that getting their children involved with the hens makes for some extra good diplomacy. Kids usually enjoy picking up the freshly laid eggs in the nest, holding a gentle hen, and feeding them some treats. Good luck!

Insulate your coop. I can still hear mine a bit, but it's really muffled... To answer your question, no. I doubt you could train that out of them. It's a hormonal/biological thing I'd think. I agree with offering a few eggs to your closest neighbors upon moving in. I'd think it would be really hard to complain about someone's chickens after you've enjoyed those same chicken's eggs the week or two before...lol.

My RIR raises a ruckus just before laying an egg...and everytime she wants food, attention or inside. Very spoiled. I brought some eggs over to my closest neighbor and she was wondering what the heck that noise was. Luckily she's good with it.

Never underestimate the power of a good bribe! Eggs to ALL the neighbors.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom