Training Cats not to eat Chickens

I don't train my cats, they train me. . . I just keep them away from the chicks. I figure once the birds are grown, they will be able to give my cats a run for their money.
I DO however expect a problem if I let the cats in with the chicks. I'm not sure there is any way around that except to make sure the cats can't get to them.

Our cats were very interested in the first batch of chicks but pay no attention at all to the hens they became and have pretty much ignored subsequent batched of chicks. Same with our dogs.

We do have a cat that lurks in our yard when ever he creeps up on the chickens they run right at him and he flies back over the fence. I am pretty sure my chicken can take on the average cat but I do worry about there not being afraid of dogs.

I do keep our chicks in the tractor to keep them safe from hawks.

Last edited:
I do plan to keep them covered until I put them in the fully enclosed coop with some very closely supervised yard visits with the cats. I kind of suspected they could take care of themselves when they are grown. We also have a pitbull mix puppy but he is scared of his own shadow. I know I will need to do some training there. But here again, I think adult chickens can handle themselves.

Back
Top Bottom