training chickens to not eat "red" by using thai peppers

ReiMiraa

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Leavenworth the "German Town"
or any red hot pepper.

see i got some chicks last year and they never ate the garden (tomatoes) they ate the weeds. the older flock tried the tomatoes some not much only a hand full were culled.

my theory is that the first thing they nibbled when encountering the garden was the thai peppers (which are bright red) and learned that red is not agreeable to them. i couldn't get them to even eat overripe cherry tomatoes.

so i have many new chicks and chickens. and the chickens are the free ranging. so i am wondering. before i let them out (when the tomatoes are red) should i throw some thai pepper plants in the coop (key: plant with peppers on it) so they can learn?

is this actually possible? what other theories could there be for them not eating the tomatoes.

also are peppers bad for them? besides causeing egg flavor or possible heartburn......
let me know. my mom (who has never had chickens) thinks the peppers would kill the chickens. but i have seen them eat worse things....

Actually, chickens don't have the ability to taste capsaicin (sp?), which is the hot stuff in hot peppers. Mine will tear apart any kind of pepper, and they particularly love the seeds.

Also, a lot of people suggest that cayenne peppers have a good effect on their digestive system. I think it's supposed to help with worms or something, but I don't know if it's true or not.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes I am really not sure on a chickens ability to taste, leaning toward no. But once ingested the effects of a certain substance still may have benifits.

AL

Nope won't work. Birds love peppers. Peppers are hot so mammals will not eat them, but birds will. The seeds will pass through a bird unharmed, where in a mammal they will be digested. It is the pepper plants strategy for propagation.

Most likely they did not like the tomatoes because they found something else they liked more.

Personally the only solution is a fence! Either around the chickens or like us around the garden.

ON

Last edited:
if chickens do not have tastebuds why is it there are some things that they will try in a beak for a second then spit it back out.

for example. i bought the rooster booster protein pelletts to help with some moulting. only a few chickens like the stuff. the rest look at it walk away or pick it up in their bear chew it around then spit it out.

maybe they do not have tastebuds but a sense of smell. but still there are some things one chicken likes while the other doesn't/

Think about it, the hot is not even related to taste buds, if the pepper oil touches your eyes or other sensitive parts it will burn too.
wink.png

Chickens are just not effected by it.
ON

Quote:
You would be best off putting a fence up around your garden...
If your chickens start eating tomato plants, egg plant and or potato plant if they don't die they will be very sick because thouse 3 plants are part of the night shade family.

Chris

It is a know fact that chickens do not have the nessesary receptors that inable them to taste, along with smell. when folks determine or claim that their chickens love a particular food it is for reasons other than taste.

AL

Back
Top Bottom