Serama chickens don't eat vegetables - what about Vit C?

Johnchickens2

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Hi :)

I have some serama chickens. They eat very well and have sources of all vitamins and minerals, but from what I see they don't eat enough vitamin C. I try to give them foods that are high in this such as bell peppers, tomatos... but they don't touch it. Should I put some vit C in their water? Sounds a bit risky. Any advice? Thanks!!

I wouldn't add extra vitamins in there water. Over dosing of anything without the option of just plain water. Can create unexpected problems that can cause damage in the long run.

If they are eating there feed regularly that would be the best thing for them. Keeping treats to a minimum will increase there overall health. For chickens protein, calcium, and lysine are important.

Hi :)

I have some serama chickens. They eat very well and have sources of all vitamins and minerals, but from what I see they don't eat enough vitamin C. I try to give them foods that are high in this such as bell peppers, tomatos... but they don't touch it. Should I put some vit C in their water? Sounds a bit risky. Any advice? Thanks!!
chickens can make (synthesize) it themselves. Humans and guinea pigs can't, but most other animals can, so you don't need to supplement vitamin C.

See
https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultr.../nutritional-requirements-of-poultry#v3344215
where you can read about all the other vitamins, minerals etc. that chickens cannot synthesize and do need to be supplied through their diet.

My Seramas are a bit more picky than my other chickens, but they still eat most veggies. How old are they? Maybe try splitting the vegetables into smaller pieces so it's easier for them to eat?

Back
Top Bottom