HappyHippyChick

Songster
Feb 24, 2023
This appears I have a cross breed of an Ayam cemani who has an appetite and she is in good shape. She is very active in foraging. The 4 other chickens are Salmon Favorelles and it doesn't appear they like food and it is getting alarming. I have chick food as they are approximately 4-5 months and it is set out all the time. It seems the SF are just not interested in eating. I do see them pecking at the feed but I don't have any idea as to what is going on. They like grass though and it appears they are eating some dirt. They may be eating some bugs but it doesn't appear they are eating many bugs. It is getting a bit alarming. The cockerel is the worst. The breast bone is sticking out and there is very little breast at all. And the other three pullets are very marginal. One seems to have a bit of weight on but there are 2 others that are very skinny but not quite as much as the boy. I do not know why they are doing this. I have been cooking some eggs and they won't even touch them. I have just resorted to trying to feed them some treats but mostly they do not seem to be interested in food. This is strange. And one pullet has a vitamin deficiency with wry neck which I am treating.

Last edited:
Have you tried a different feed?

I have two bags of feed (same brand but one layer and one all flock.). My girls refuse to eat it. I tried to switch to it, from Flock Raiser, because it was about $5 per bag cheaper. I had to switch back to FR. I know a common belief is that if the chickens are hungry enough, they will eat it and not starve...not true at my house. Or, I'm not strong enough to wait them out when I could tell they were loosing weight and I didn't need to fill the feeder.

Is there one feeder or multiple feeders? Do you see the bigger bird guarding the food at all, if the others come by?
I have one feeder. The boy sometimes just lays down by the feeder and eats but he isn't gaining any weight. He is just bones, last night I picked him up and was shocked. The one pullet is a little bossy but I haven't seen her picking on anyone.

I'd put out a 2nd feeder, and I'd try a different food (just get a small bag since we don't know if they'll eat it), just to see if some change might encourage them. Make sure to check mill date on the bag to ensure you're getting fresh feed.

Or if you haven't tried it, maybe try fermenting a little of their feed or serving it wet? Some birds may find that more appealing. Again, I'd just do a small batch to test at first.

Definitely add 2nd feeder. I provide them both dry feed, as well as wet feed. They seem to prefer the wet.

Also if your space allows, give them time to feed in their run before letting them out to free range. Otherwise they may be too distracted by other things or eating food that's not giving them the nutrition the need.

Good luck. Poor babies.

Thanks rosemarythyme and My Three Chicks and RojoMarz for all of the tips. I'll check out some new feed and try a small bag first. Will get another feeder. And I'll experiment wetting the feed, sounds good. I'll keep them in the morning before i let them to run around. Thanks so much :)

Back
Top Bottom