Training chickens to not range in certain areas?

heiditam

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 8, 2014
We have 11 wooded acres...but somehow that is not enough-my girls have walked all the way to the other end of my property, up a steep hill that I cannot scale, through a web of briars, and right into a neighborhood that borders our land, and of course, they started scratching some poor lady's beds up. :/ I of course went and apologized and told her that I would keep them away and am working on the problem. She was nice, but I know she does not appreciate the girls in her nice flower beds. So...I really need to train the chickens to not go towards that area at all! Fences...11 acres-it is just not feasible to fence this large of a perimeter. They like the woods between her house and mine, but it is identical to the woods all over our land! And, there are plenty of more secluded areas in these woods that they have not explored--

I guess what I am asking...how can I train them to go to the deep secluded parts of our land v. the only part of the land that is bordered by other humans! Can I train them to do this somehow? I feel like they are creatures of habit...I want them to get into the habit of going the other direction.

Thoughts?

Currently, I wait till later to let them out and retrieve them and re-direct them as they start to climb the hill towards her road. It is a shame though because we have acres of secluded land they could hang out in all day if they just go the other direction.

Thanks... Oh sigh...we may just have to wait until late to let them out... Thinking about it...even if we fenced it, we could not make it 100% as we have a few easements...and chickens seem really dense until you try fencing them in...then *boom* hidden geniuses. I have tried deer fencing strategically placed and they just walk to the end of it...

Chickens will always range exactly where you desire them to, as long as you fence them inside that desired area.
big_smile.png

I would make them some flower boxes that they can dig in, or a sandbox. Something to keep them busy where you want them to be. You could also try one of those fake owls or eagles that banks use in the area you don't want them to be. I've seen them on Amazon.

Chickens will always range exactly where you desire them to, as long as you fence them inside that desired area.
big_smile.png

Yup. I guess so. :) I put up 150 feet of deer fencing attached to coop yesterday so they can get out earlier...think it is the only way. Doesn't look great but it will help I think. Although deer fencing in briars is tricky and I do not recc it!
I would make them some flower boxes that they can dig in, or a sandbox. Something to keep them busy where you want them to be. You could also try one of those fake owls or eagles that banks use in the area you don't want them to be. I've seen them on Amazon.

These girls...lol...they scratch up the plants/mulch area by our house too. :) They just love to roam far and wide-I was hoping it was just because everything is so barren right now(they are turning over wet leaves in the woods), but I do not want any problems as the city has fuzzy rules and is in the process of drafting chicken rules, and oh you know...

Thanks everyone...

Back
Top Bottom