Training chicks to use watering nipples

Arkantex

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
West Texas
I just got my chicks in wendesday. I have been so buisy with work that I didn't have time to order the watering nipples until yesterday. So far we have just been puting a bowl with water in it in the brooder for them to drink out of. So, when the watering nipples come in, how do I go about training the chicks to drink out of it? When I am teaching them to use them do I need to leave the water bowl in there? Hopefully by monday I will be back to working regular 8 hour days and can finnish up my coop and run pretty quick.

So far, we are loving our baby chicks. My 1 year old son absolutely loves them! Seeing him giggle and smile at them makes all the work and research I have done thus far totally worth it!

I did the same as you are doing. I had no problem introducing it to my 2 week old chicks. I demonstrated with my finger and pushing one of their beaks against it. They had it figured out in 10 seconds.

I switched my to the nipple at about 2 weeks and yup, it took them all of 15 seconds. It happened so quick, I had just steped away to switch the laundry and they already were at it. I imagine it went like this...

"Something new here? Let's peck it! Oh, water!?!"
"Hey, what are you pecking? Can I peck it too? Oh, water!?!"
Repeat second query for each subsequent chick.
tongue.png

oh, and I think they would learn to use it at even one or two days old.
I put a plastic drip tray below to catch the drips and keep the wood pellet bedding from turning to wet sawdust so quickly just below the nipples.

Well then it should work out good. About the time they show up and I get the setup built they will be about 2 weeks old or so. Thanks for the input guys

Back
Top Bottom