Training new hens to use nesting box

Thanks for your response! I have six pullets ranging 17-18 weeks old. I brooded them inside for the first 7-8 weeks. They've been out with the three "established" resident hens for about 10 weeks now. So 9 hens total. Coop is always open and attached to secure run which is locked at night but open during the day for birds to free range in fenced 1/4 acre yard. Depending on the night, two to five of the pullets roost in the run rather than in the coop. I haven't taken issue with this because it has been hot and the run is very secure. One of the two ladies who is consistently sleeping in the run laid her first egg yesterday in the middle of the yard. It only occured to me then that maybe she has never gone into the coop. It has been open since day one to them and there are two roosting bars, about 5-6 ft long each - so a total of 11'-12'. Is that enough space? There are two nesting boxes for the 9 of them which may be a bit tight, I realize. Only three are laying now, though (well, now four). I was planning to add another box soon. I never forced them to go up there, as the first three ladies were a bit territorial at first. They all seem to be assimilated now and hang out together as a flock to preen, dust bathe, etc. I haven't observed any bullying. Any suggestions?
Good details!
Roost space sounds pretty good.... how big is coop?
Got pics?
...and if they are all getting along<shrugs>
Younger birds often do not make their way into the pecking order, most prominent during the RoostTimeRumble, until they have started laying.
Might want to put the ones who sleep outside into the coop during the day just to say they've been in there....cause maybe they haven't been inside.
I assume you feed outside and not in the coop?
Another nest would be good.
On the other hand, new layers can be all over the place at first, they may yet find their way inside to the nests.

Good details!
Roost space sounds pretty good.... how big is coop?
Got pics?
...and if they are all getting along<shrugs>
Younger birds often do not make their way into the pecking order, most prominent during the RoostTimeRumble, until they have started laying.
Might want to put the ones who sleep outside into the coop during the day just to say they've been in there....cause maybe they haven't been inside.
I assume you feed outside and not in the coop?
Another nest would be good.
On the other hand, new layers can be all over the place at first, they may yet find their way inside to the nests.

I appreciate your help. I am not sure about actual size of coop but I just uploaded some pics. I will put the outside sleepers in the coop today just so I can say they've been there, thank you for that advice. And yes, food and water are in the run so up until now, she has had no reason to go in the coop. In my short year and a half of owning chickens, I have found that these things do tend to resolve themselves. What seems to be a worry one day most often turns into nothing. I'm hoping you are right and that they will find their way!
coop.jpg
inside coop2.jpg

I'd guess that coop is 4x6?
Kinda small for 9 hens, IMO.
Might work fine tho.

Your roost lengths are probably not fully realized near the corners,
especially the lower one, too close to the wall.

Nice coop and run, love the huge roof overhangs.

Back
Top Bottom