Training new hens to use nesting box

Summercrest

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2017
Quick Question: When adding new laying hens to a free range flock that already uses the coop/nesting box- how do you get the new ones to use the coop/boxes instead of going rogue? If we keep them in the coop and close it up, the original gang won't be able to go in there.

Long Story:
We had a flock of 8 Leghorns and added 2 Barred Rocks because we were worried about having enough eggs after reading too much (such as that all the leghorns will molt at the same time and we'll be eggless for months). We got the BRs from craigslist, and are pretty sure they are rescue hens (which was not our intention) - they got sick right away, have no feathers on their butts and had crazy long nails. After quarantining them and getting them back on their feet (we really thought they were going to die after reading all the other posts of similar symptoms) they seem to be getting on well with the leghorns (though they can be a little bully-like) and have now taken to walking around our entire yard all day long. They sleep in the run on a roost (the leghorns sleep in the coop, I think the BRs go to the run because that's where they started when they were separated) and in the morning the Leghorns go into the run until we open the main door and the BRs go out to roam when the leghorns done and they go back at night without any herding.
One of the BRs laid 2 eggs when we got them so I'm thinking that now that it's been a week of being healthy and roaming around, they are probably ready to lay if they haven't already. I just don't think they'd lay in the nesting boxes and I don't know how to train them go in there. I walk around the yard a couple times a day in search for an egg that is on it's own - I haven't found one yet. I've read about others finding "hidden" nests with 10 eggs... so I've even looked behind and under things.
I've read that even though they laid when they first got here, after all that stress, they might not lay for another week - month... so perhaps they aren't laying. And everything else says "lock them in the coop so they know about the nesting boxes" but if I do that, I have no idea where the others will lay and when they don't lay in the box, they eat the egg (or at least I'm suspicious that happened over the weekend when I found an egg shell and 2 of the leghorns clearly had yolk on them). I am hoping the BRs will just watch the leghorns lay in the nesting boxes and learn that it's where they should go, but I'm thinking that's too easy. To top it all off, we used to get 7-8 eggs/day and now we are down to 6. One hen is broody, so I know she's not going to give us anything, but today there were only 4 eggs by 11:30. I don't know if the broody one is throwing things off for the others (I take her off the nest a couple times a day and she goes to eat, drink and dust bath), but I'm getting worried they are all going to start hiding eggs! Thanks for your wisdom in advance!

Welcome to BYC.
I would have to say the only ting that comes to my mind right now is to lock them all up??

Hens will instinctively look for cubbyholes (preferably dark ones) to lay. So if you remove or close off any such areas except for their nesting boxes they will eventually migrate towards them. You can also put the idea in their heads by leaving 'surrogate' eggs into them. You can get fake eggs at places like Tractor Supply or some people use golf balls.

Thank you all! I was hoping you'd say "don't worry- they'll just follow the other chickens" hahahaha!
Sometimes the answer is more than obvious - I hadn't thought to lock them all in the coop/run - I thought I had to lock the new ones in just the coop. Since they've been successful at leaving and returning (through the coop, at it separates the run from the yard), and they've all mostly fallen into a good groove with one another, perhaps now they'll find the nesting box. (When one laid the egg before, she laid in the run - but she wasn't allowed in the coop yet because of the recommended quarantine.). I'll give it a try tomorrow (much easier to start with them in, than trying to herd them back there!).
I've found so much great information on BYC (I've been a silent stalker for about 2 months now). Thank you all for your continued insight and responses. It is incredibly helpful and encouraging.

Thank you all! I was hoping you'd say "don't worry- they'll just follow the other chickens" hahahaha!
Sometimes the answer is more than obvious - I hadn't thought to lock them all in the coop/run - I thought I had to lock the new ones in just the coop. Since they've been successful at leaving and returning (through the coop, at it separates the run from the yard), and they've all mostly fallen into a good groove with one another, perhaps now they'll find the nesting box. (When one laid the egg before, she laid in the run - but she wasn't allowed in the coop yet because of the recommended quarantine.). I'll give it a try tomorrow (much easier to start with them in, than trying to herd them back there!).
I've found so much great information on BYC (I've been a silent stalker for about 2 months now). Thank you all for your continued insight and responses. It is incredibly helpful and encouraging.
I know this is a year later, but I'm experiencing something similar now with new layers who also choose to sleep on a roost in the run and just started laying in the yard where they free range. The older ladies all lay in the nesting boxes in the coop, but most of the new ladies never even go in the coop, so not sure if they've even seen the example of laying in the boxes. Curious how long your "rogue layer" issue took to getting resolved, if it ever did!

I know this is a year later, but I'm experiencing something similar now with new layers who also choose to sleep on a roost in the run and just started laying in the yard where they free range. The older ladies all lay in the nesting boxes in the coop, but most of the new ladies never even go in the coop, so not sure if they've even seen the example of laying in the boxes. Curious how long your "rogue layer" issue took to getting resolved, if it ever did!
That member has not posted since that post a year ago.

But for your situation, might it be that the youngers are not 'allowed' in the coop due to size restraints?
How long have the new birds been in residence?

That member has not posted since that post a year ago.

But for your situation, might it be that the youngers are not 'allowed' in the coop due to size restraints?
How long have the new birds been in residence?

Thanks for your response! I have six pullets ranging 17-18 weeks old. I brooded them inside for the first 7-8 weeks. They've been out with the three "established" resident hens for about 10 weeks now. So 9 hens total. Coop is always open and attached to secure run which is locked at night but open during the day for birds to free range in fenced 1/4 acre yard. Depending on the night, two to five of the pullets roost in the run rather than in the coop. I haven't taken issue with this because it has been hot and the run is very secure. One of the two ladies who is consistently sleeping in the run laid her first egg yesterday in the middle of the yard. It only occured to me then that maybe she has never gone into the coop. It has been open since day one to them and there are two roosting bars, about 5-6 ft long each - so a total of 11'-12'. Is that enough space? There are two nesting boxes for the 9 of them which may be a bit tight, I realize. Only three are laying now, though (well, now four). I was planning to add another box soon. I never forced them to go up there, as the first three ladies were a bit territorial at first. They all seem to be assimilated now and hang out together as a flock to preen, dust bathe, etc. I haven't observed any bullying. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom