training pack goats?

Quote:
What breed do you have? Most people use wethers b/c they are generally bigger and stronger than does. And does can be temperamental when they are in heat, can't use them when they are preggo, etc.

When I was a little girl, the people that boarded my goats for me had a couple of wethers trained to pull a cart. It was sooo cute!

I have saanen/sables - they are white (saanen) now, but the breeder said sometimes they change color after they are a few months old...

My snubian is due in a month, so I might still get a wether. I am just looking for an excuse to take them hiking.
big_smile.png

I would LOVE to have cart goats. There's an old tyme picture at the hospital of a goat cart. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow if I can and post it. It's a great picture.

I don't know about getting them to carry a pack. I don't think there would be much to it.
Goats make great hiking partners. I just start them out when they are young by taking them out one at a time. They don't like to be left alone, so stay with me without a leash. We stop and I let them browse and just walk away and call them and they follow.
They catch on real quick and then you can take a group of them out and they stay together.
With older goats it helps if your alpha female follows you, then everyone else will follow her, even if they aren't real people friendly. I walk mine all over and they really enjoy it, and have never run off.
The babies will follow their mom so as long as mom is friendly she will teach the babies. They are herd aniamls and it's natural for them to stay in a group.
Have fun!

I have taken several of my bottle fed goats hiking w/ me, they don't mind being taken out alone.

I have one nubian wether that would wear a pack made for a dog, he was fun, even learned to swim. I've still got him, I just don't get a chance to take him out much these days.

Back
Top Bottom