Tramadol for ducks ?

Lou07

Hatching
Sep 24, 2022
Hi everyone!
One of my Indian Runner has bilateral DJD (fancy name for Arthritis in both knees), it’s more severe in his Right leg, you can see over this passed year the decline in him drastically. I have an amazing Avian vet, where we’ve tried a few pain meds (NSAIDs) which worked for a while then stopped, we moved onto steroids which worked for a while and now stopped… next step tramadol which I’ll start in two days. I hate seeing him like this, he’s my best bud but I can see he’s in a lot of pain. My question really is do ducks do well on tramadol he’s only 7 so still got a long time with us (hopefully) will it affect his liver ? Is it a good drug for this type of pain?
I trust my Vet 1000% I’m just a worried duck mum and would like to hear other peoples experience?
Thank you !

Welcome to BYC. So sorry your duck isn't doing well. I only used it once for a short period of time. What NSAIDS have you tried?

Welcome to BYC. So sorry your duck isn't doing well. I only used it once for a short period of time. What NSAIDS have you tried?
Thank for your kind words!
We’ve tried metacam and loxicom, did work for while around 2 months and the started limping again (he was on the strongest dose we could give him)

Hi everyone!
One of my Indian Runner has bilateral DJD (fancy name for Arthritis in both knees), it’s more severe in his Right leg, you can see over this passed year the decline in him drastically. I have an amazing Avian vet, where we’ve tried a few pain meds (NSAIDs) which worked for a while then stopped, we moved onto steroids which worked for a while and now stopped… next step tramadol which I’ll start in two days. I hate seeing him like this, he’s my best bud but I can see he’s in a lot of pain. My question really is do ducks do well on tramadol he’s only 7 so still got a long time with us (hopefully) will it affect his liver ? Is it a good drug for this type of pain?
I trust my Vet 1000% I’m just a worried duck mum and would like to hear other peoples experience?
Thank you !
Hi! Can I ask what your dose of tramadol was and how much your duck weighs? I hope he's doing better :)

Back
Top Bottom