Transferring my chicks from coop to run

Dgrundy14

Chirping
May 28, 2016
Leeds, Alabama
I'm a newbie to the chicken world so this is probably a stupid question. How do I get my 4 week old chicks from the coop to the run. The run is about 20 ft from the coop. Do I pick up the chicks kicking and screaming and take them to the run or do I just let them out and try to persuade them in with treats? Also, should I do this this early or wait until they are older?

Here is a picture of my coop and run to give an idea about what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance for any advice I can get!

You can hand carry the birds, but to me that would get old very fast.

Can you move the tractor to the coop and attach? let them into the tractor in the morning and them move it, with the birds inside, to the desired spot for the day? Then back to the coop at night.

I think eventually they'd go from the tractor to the coop at night on their own, they're powerful creatures of habit when it comes to where they sleep. But I don't think they'd easily go from the coop to the tractor in the morning, you'd be chasing birds all over the place.

Hi! I have exactly the same situation, I have 2 mature Faverolles hens and recently added 2 10 week old chicks.

I have been hand carrying the hens since I got them last October. The great thing is they are very very tame now. The chicks have learned to get into a small dog crate when I throw a couple meal worms into it and tell them to get in the car. It's working well and I enjoy them so much!

I take the hens out first, then give the littles just one or two worms, then pop a couple in the crate and in they go! Usually in the evening they are already in the crate, ready to go.

Good luck! Hope this was helpful!

If they are spending the day in the run, where the coop is during the day is mostly moot. A well ventilated coop will cool down once the sun is down. Of course during the summer they will need shade during the day themselves. The coop in the picture looks to have an area under it to help with that. And come time for them to lay, will you have a place for them to lay in the run? My vote would be to connect the coop to the run or in it and add some shade there.

If they are spending the day in the run, where the coop is during the day is mostly moot.  A well ventilated coop will cool down once the sun is down.  Of course during the summer they will need shade during the day themselves.  The coop in the picture looks to have an area under it to help with that.  And come time for them to lay, will you have a place for them to lay in the run?  My vote would be to connect the coop to the run or in it and add some shade there.

That is a great idea, I just need to find a way to get the girls back in the coop at night and be able to close them up at night. I still have a few weeks before they will be old enough to lay eggs. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom