Transition from brooder to coop

csaylorchickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2015
California
My Coop
My Coop
I currently have 5 adult hens. I just got three easter egger chickss. Before, I had a transition coop next to my big coop. This idea was perfect. I could allow them to mingle in the large run but they had their own spaces. The chicks got used to the hens and got used to the chicks. They would go into the transition coop at 6 weeks old and I'd transfer them to the large coop by 16 weeks old. Well, I don't have that mini coop now.
What age do you think a pullet can go with the larger hens? I am wondering if I need to make a new transition coop or can I allow them to go into the coop earlier?

See how they interact if they are free ranging. Then keep your small chicks inside the coop but in a dog cage. As long as you think necessary.
Eventually your chicks will grow enough to be able to escape,(when together with big chickens) should that be necessary.
Make a second roost at lower level for the newcomers.
WISHING YOU BEST... :highfive:

I don't know if I can split the coop but I have a dog crate galvanized. I can place that in the run during the day and then at night put them in the coop but maybe section off an area in the coop for them? I'll have to get creative. They will be 3 weeks old this weekend I want to put them outside asap by 6 to 8 weeks. I'll just have to make sure I go out and place them every morning and every night.

Maybe by 12 weeks they can mingle with the bignorant girls
Regardless of what you do, you need to do it gradually. Chickens really hate 'strangers'. If you can section off a portion of the run for the young ones for during the day and can keep them in a crate at night in the coop, it would be the best way to go. And the sooner you begin the introductions the better. Adult birds are not nearly as territorial when it comes to chicks joining the flock. Once those little ones are over 8 weeks of age, they are starting to develop into teenagers, and that can drastically change how the adults react towards them.

Regardless of what you do, you need to do it gradually. Chickens really hate 'strangers'. If you can section off a portion of the run for the young ones for during the day and can keep them in a crate at night in the coop, it would be the best way to go. And the sooner you begin the introductions the better. Adult birds are not nearly as territorial when it comes to chicks joining the flock. Once those little ones are over 8 weeks of age, they are starting to develop into teenagers, and that can drastically change how the adults react towards them.
Ditto Dat!!!^^^

I will have fun this weekend figuring this out! I'm half tempting to build a transition coop again. It was perfect for hens I wanted to separate for injury, broodiness, or housing chicks untill coop ready.

I am of the camp of getting chicks in the flock by 3-4 weeks. I am a believer in a one way gate that allows the chicks to mingle with the big girls, but have a safety zone they can escape to if things get rough.

I also found it pretty helpful to kick the big girls out of the coop/run and lock them out free ranging, locking the chicks in the set up. The chicks can explore in safety, the hens see them in their territory, eating at their dish. I will go and chase them if they get far from their safe zone, so they know where to go.

Last spring, I had a good transition within a week. I do have a great deal of space.

Mrs k

I have a small rabbit hutch I converted into a chicken coop for the chicks they are four weeks old almost 5 now. I put them in the run two days now and put them back in the garage at night with their heat plate. Seems ok a few pecks through the fence. I'm hoping I can just leave them outside in 2 weeks I just need netting on the top

Attachments

• 20180401_112235.jpg
    20180401_112235.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom