Transition from Heat Lamp to MHP

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rick&Chris, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

Hi all - we have 2 week old chicks that have been under a heat lamp since day 1. I have made a MHP and moved them to our 6’x6’ enclosed coop. Will they move to the MHP without assistance? I put one under and she ran right out! It is on the left side of this photo - you may have to click to enlarge.

Attached Files:

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Free Ranging

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    They should. I did the same thing and mine took right to it. Just check on them when the temp drops to make sure they are going under it.

3. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Happy Holidays to all my BYC Peeps!

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
    What an adorable bunch of fuzz babies! ❤️. Good luck!!!!

4. snow5164

snow5164 Crowing

May 16, 2015
    If you’re concerned about them finding things block off half the coop so food , water and bed are very close together .

They are so cute , but not always the brightest creatures.... you need to make it easy for them

5. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

That is a good idea. I’ll keep an eye on them today and see how it goes. The air temp in the coop right now is 71 degrees (my indoor/outdoor wireless thermometer is getting great use!) - we are in SE PA and high temps this week will be in the 80’s, but Friday it will be much cooler - 60’s in the day and maybe 40’s at night.

puffypoo22, KikiLeigh02 and snow5164 like this.
  6. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

Is that too cold for them? Should I add another heat source?

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  7. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    They should be fine! If it's warm enough they may just sleep out in the coop now. I've got some two week olds, and they either sleep next to the heat plate or partially under it now. I've got a couple that are actually roosting already. Mine usually quit using the heat around 2.5-3 weeks. It's supposed to get in the 40's overnight here later this week, if you have any temperature swings like that you might just listen for them. Chicks are pretty loud if they're cold or unhappy, they'll let you know!

8. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

I need to get a camera out there asap! Ca-Ching!

KikiLeigh02 likes this.
  9. KikiLeigh02

KikiLeigh02 Free Ranging

May 11, 2018
    Western Kentucky
    They do make pretty good TV, lol.

Helloworld and Rick&Chris like this.
  10. Rick&Chris

Rick&Chris Songster

I agree they will! A comedy for sure!! I wonder how much work I’ll get done! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: