Transition from Heat Lamp to MHP

So did you stick a chick under and see how they fit?

I just went out to look at them, they were not under the heating pad, they were huddled in the same dark corner. I put them all under the pad and blocked them in there with my hand, I turned off the light and made a quick retreat! I went back out five minutes later, and they are still under there! This may be a nightly ritual until they get the hang of it!

Added: They are all up and moving this morning, normal chirping. 60 degrees in the coop and they are fluffed up and their feet are chilly :(

Last edited:
Nervous mom is back! This morning they were up and moving, but the ambient temp was 60 degrees. They were all fluffedup and their feet were chilly. Normal??
As long as they aren't distress cheeping, are eating, drinking and pooping ok, they are fine.
Have they gone back under to warm up at all?

Can you add your location to your profile so I have a reference for time and place?
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-10-13_20-54-16.png

As long as they aren't distress cheeping, are eating, drinking and pooping ok, they are fine.
Have they gone back under to warm up at all?

Can you add your location to your profile so I have a reference for time and place?
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
View attachment 1560010

They have not gone back underneath. They were chilled and a little shivering, I think.

I’m in SE Pennsylvania - I added my location (thx!). Forecast is lows in the 40s and highs in the 50s for the next 10 days.

If they were cold, they'd be vocalizing.
Remind me how old they are.

Hmmmm...not sure what the problem is.
Have you tried putting them back under?
Wonder if the space is too big and they are getting 'lost'?

If they were cold, they'd be vocalizing.
Remind me how old they are.

Hmmmm...not sure what the problem is.
Have you tried putting them back under?
Wonder if the space is too big and they are getting 'lost'?

They are 3 weeks old on Monday - barely feathered. It is a 6’x6’ enclosed space. They’re all over it all day long. I tried putting them under during the day. It was like herding cats !!

Maybe tomorrow I’ll move the heating pad to the corner they seem to like. I broke down and put the lamp back in.

Maybe tomorrow I’ll move the heating pad to the corner they seem to like. I broke down and put the lamp back in.
Was going to suggest both.
Couple thoughts...wonder if pad is too hot..are there different settings?
Are they on top of it at all?
We talked about height before, you added a board...but age of chicks might have made it too low....I dunno, it's hard to explain how high it should be.
Maybe MHP use was started too late and they just didn't acclimate...not sure if I've heard of that, but grasping at problem/solution scenarios.
Enough for tonite.

The girls have no interest in the MHP, not for lack of my trying!!! So, I supposed we will continue with the heat lamp for a couple/few more weeks until more feathers come in. I don’t want to take any chances. The shivering was concerning to me for my babies.

Thank you all for your input!!! I truly appreciate the help and support!

Was going to suggest both.
Couple thoughts...wonder if pad is too hot..are there different settings?
Are they on top of it at all?
We talked about height before, you added a board...but age of chicks might have made it too low....I dunno, it's hard to explain how high it should be.
Maybe MHP use was started too late and they just didn't acclimate...not sure if I've heard of that, but grasping at problem/solution scenarios.
Enough for tonite.
Well, if you don't get chicks under a hen soon enough they don't acclimate... maybe the same scenario here.

Back
Top Bottom