Transitioning chicks outside

ipaharpoon

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2020
When moving chicks outside, do I need to keep them in coop for a few days at first or will they figure it out on their own? Should I let them in the run during the day and then close them in the coop @ night? Curious to hear how people have transitioned their chicks into coops/runs and how their results were. Thanks in advance!

With my first batch of chicks (7 years ago), I kept them in the coop for about a week (it was nice weather) so that they knew it was home and where they sleep. After that I allowed them to enter the run, which they took their time getting use to it. After a month or two, I allowed them to free range under supervision.
When adding new chicks or if my broody hen hatches the chicks, the older coop residence show the young ones what they need to know.

Locking them in the coop for a few days is a good way to home them to it, but only do so if there's ample space inside, good ventilation, and moderate enough temperatures that heat stroke won't be an issue.

Locking them in the coop for a few days is a good way to home them to it, but only do so if there's ample space inside, good ventilation, and moderate enough temperatures that heat stroke won't be an issue.
Gotcha. 4x4x4 coop for 7. Two small windows, but have a screened door I can use for coop entrance. Think I'll have to watch the temp tomorrow.

Gotcha. 4x4x4 coop for 7. Two small windows, but have a screened door I can use for coop entrance. Think I'll have to watch the temp tomorrow.
Depending how you installed the windows, you could leave them open for air flow. Just to be safe, I installed hardware cloth on the outside of the window so that I can leave it open on hot days without worrying a predator flies in.

Two small windows, but have a screened door I can use for coop entrance. Think I'll have to watch the temp tomorrow.

Is the screened door predator safe (or if it faces into run, is run predator safe)? Same with the windows, are they predator proofed?

If there's temperature issues even with everything open, that's something you need to take steps to resolve independent of the transition, as high heat and lack of ventilation are both bad for chickens.

Depending how you installed the windows, you could leave them open for air flow. Just to be safe, I installed hardware cloth on the outside of the window so that I can leave it open on hot days without worrying a predator flies in.
Both windows are open and covered with hardware cloth. The door to the run is just an opening, but covered with the cover to our week one brooder, which is a large rubber maid lid with hardware cloth on it. The run and coops are fairly predator proof at this point.
Neither window is large, but I feel better about ventilation with the door opening being covered with the hardware cloth lid vs. a piece of plywood.
I'll give keeping them in the coop tomorrow a shot and watch the temperature and warmth.

Back
Top Bottom