Transitioning Feed (17 weeks)

Chicklady707

Songster
Apr 27, 2020
Northeast Wisconsin
I have my first flock ever of 15 pullets and 1 cockerel that are 17 weeks today. I have been feeding them nonmedicated Purina Start and Grow crumbles. The bag states to feed until 18 weeks so I am trying to figure out what to switch to. There is a Farm Center nearby that mixes their own layer feed that is $10.00 for 50lbs. I know many friends/neighbors who use this particular feed but after reading the label I see: Ethoxyquin and BHT (preservatives). That concerns me as when I did a little research there have been side effects with animal testing on these preservatives.
5CA82A24-CE79-433F-8C1C-2397BC7C2886.jpeg

My other thought was to feed a flock raiser feed so my cockerel is not getting the calcium or young chicks when I add to my flock. I would offer calcium on the side. Purina Flock raiser is $18.00 for 50 pounds though and only comes in pellets at the feed store nearby. I think? I would prefer crumbles if/when I have more chicks so they are able to eat those too. I plan on trying to integrate the chicks with the hens/roosters (when I get more) before they are 18 weeks. Any suggestions? I would like to get a feed that is reasonably priced, that I can use “forever” with my current flock and any additions, and that is healthy for my chickens and for my family/friends/neighbors to eat the eggs.

I have my first flock ever of 15 pullets and 1 cockerel that are 17 weeks today. I have been feeding them nonmedicated Purina Start and Grow crumbles. The bag states to feed until 18 weeks so I am trying to figure out what to switch to. There is a Farm Center nearby that mixes their own layer feed that is $10.00 for 50lbs. I know many friends/neighbors who use this particular feed but after reading the label I see: Ethoxyquin and BHT (preservatives). That concerns me as when I did a little research there have been side effects with animal testing on these preservatives. View attachment 2351937
My other thought was to feed a flock raiser feed so my cockerel is not getting the calcium or young chicks when I add to my flock. I would offer calcium on the side. Purina Flock raiser is $18.00 for 50 pounds though and only comes in pellets at the feed store nearby. I think? I would prefer crumbles if/when I have more chicks so they are able to eat those too. I plan on trying to integrate the chicks with the hens/roosters (when I get more) before they are 18 weeks. Any suggestions? I would like to get a feed that is reasonably priced, that I can use “forever” with my current flock and any additions, and that is healthy for my chickens and for my family/friends/neighbors to eat the eggs.
Feed them flock raiser or all flock. I recommend Kalmbach flock maintainer or flock maker

I have my first flock ever of 15 pullets and 1 cockerel that are 17 weeks today. I have been feeding them nonmedicated Purina Start and Grow crumbles. The bag states to feed until 18 weeks so I am trying to figure out what to switch to. There is a Farm Center nearby that mixes their own layer feed that is $10.00 for 50lbs. I know many friends/neighbors who use this particular feed but after reading the label I see: Ethoxyquin and BHT (preservatives). That concerns me as when I did a little research there have been side effects with animal testing on these preservatives. View attachment 2351937
I think that Purina makes some quality feeds for sure in most cases. If you buy the bags of feed at TSC that are in the white bags with only a ingredients label and no maker label in them like an off label packaging. This because of some type of monopoly and manufacture agreement that TSC has with Purina but it is Purina in the White bags with no labeling at TSC in the Chick, hog, rabbit, and dog feed for sale at TSC. I was told this in more than one occasion and at more than one TSC by their associates. I think your plan to feed a flock raiser and out calcium on the side after they lay their first egg is a fine idea. The roosters won’t take if for they know instinctively not too. An all flock pellet will be fine and you can wet it some for the chicks you get just a little bit and they will be able to get it just fine. When they are just a few days old just wack the pellets with a brick or something into small pieces so they know or learn how to smell it first and give them time to learn how to find it by smell and site and then after the first few days or like a week they will manage the wet food. The pellet purchase will be okay and more economical for you.

I think that Purina makes some quality feeds for sure in most cases. If you buy the bags of feed at TSC that are in the white bags with only a ingredients label and no maker label in them like an off label packaging. This because of some type of monopoly and manufacture agreement that TSC has with Purina but it is Purina in the White bags with no labeling at TSC in the Chick, hog, rabbit, and dog feed for sale at TSC. I was told this in more than one occasion and at more than one TSC by their associates. I think your plan to feed a flock raiser and out calcium on the side after they lay their first egg is a fine idea. The roosters won’t take if for they know instinctively not too. An all flock pellet will be fine and you can wet it some for the chicks you get just a little bit and they will be able to get it just fine. When they are just a few days old just wack the pellets with a brick or something into small pieces so they know or learn how to smell it first and give them time to learn how to find it by smell and site and then after the first few days or like a week they will manage the wet food. The pellet purchase will be okay and more economical for you.
Thank you for your great suggestions but after doing some more research, the closest TSC is 75 minutes away😔. The feed in the nonlabeled bags sounds great but that is way too far to go. 😕

Thank you for your great suggestions but after doing some more research, the closest TSC is 75 minutes away😔. The feed in the nonlabeled bags sounds great but that is way too far to go. 😕
Oh I don’t blame you for not wanting to drive 75 miles either. Do you have a feed store close by that has Nutrena brand feeds? That is what I feed my hens. I feed layer feed but they have an all flock if I am correct. It flys of the shelves at our local farm and ranch as soon as they get it in stock so it has been a while since I have seen it locally but I believe they have it. If you can look on Chewy or Amazon just to read the labels you might can see if it meets the protein requirements you want and such. It does for me but then you can go from there. Most farm and ranch feed stores carry Nutrena. It always has fresh milk dates for me and I pay $7.30 a 25lb bag here in MS. I hope that helps. That is with calcium included in the layer feed blend.

Oh I don’t blame you for not wanting to drive 75 miles either. Do you have a feed store close by that has Nutrena brand feeds? That is what I feed my hens. I feed layer feed but they have an all flock if I am correct. It flys of the shelves at our local farm and ranch as soon as they get it in stock so it has been a while since I have seen it locally but I believe they have it. If you can look on Chewy or Amazon just to read the labels you might can see if it meets the protein requirements you want and such. It does for me but then you can go from there. Most farm and ranch feed stores carry Nutrena. It always has fresh milk dates for me and I pay $7.30 a 25lb bag here in MS. I hope that helps. That is with calcium included in the layer feed blend.
You have been so very helpful! Thank you! We have a Fleet Farm about 20 miles away. I will take a drive there and see what is available. $14.60 for 50 lbs would be a decent price. I just didn’t want to pay $18.00 for 50 lbs for Purina All Flock.

You have been so very helpful! Thank you! We have a Fleet Farm about 20 miles away. I will take a drive there and see what is available. $14.60 for 50 lbs would be a decent price. I just didn’t want to pay $18.00 for 50 lbs for Purina All Flock.
You are welcome! You can get good feed at a much better price I truly believe which will meet your needs even if you have to buy it at 25lb bags and double them up.

Back
Top Bottom