Transitioning from brooder to coop

DMJ1123

Chirping
May 2, 2019
Massachusetts
This weekend I transferred my six Orpingtons from the brooder to the coop/run. They spent all day yesterday in the enclosed run and we manually put them in the coop at night. Same routine today. After doing some more research I'm reading that it is a good idea to keep them confined inside the coop for 3-5 days before allowing them access to the enclosed run. This allows them to understand that the coop is "home" and eventually they will return on their own at night. This makes complete sense and wish I would have come across that sooner.

Since it has only been two days I am assuming I can confine them for the next few days to instill "home" without any issues. Any thoughts? I just don't want to confuse the flock too much.

Yes, it's perfectly fine for you to start anew with the "coop confine" program. I would leave them in 5 to 7 days to get the idea that coop=home. They might not need that much time, but it is better to err on the side of imprinting them to their space, then having to round up wayward birds come evening.

We only had maybe 1 day we kept them in the coop all day, after that they had access to their run other than being locked in at night, they are always running into the coop when the dog barks, when it got windy and when they got cold so I'm pretty sure they have realized its thier home. We have been having extreme differences in temps lately (43 last night but 90+ the day before that!) And they would be stiffling if I locked them in all day!

Yes, chickens are very good at picking up on routine. Keeping them in the coop for the next several days or so will definitely help them to learn. I am still amazed at how my chickens always put themselves to bed... I love it!

I'm on my 2nd integration of chicks that I brood in the coop. My new babies are now 4 weeks old and spend days with the rest of the flock, then when dusk rolls around they all go inside (almost) together... big ones on the roost and little ones back to their brooder. So cute! Hopefully they'll be roosting soon.

No need to confine them to the coop, IMO. Keep putting them in the coop in the evening to roost. They'll get the hang of it after a week or two.

My silkie babies would cuddle up in the far back corner of their dust bath which is under the coop. I have staggered ages from 1yr to 6 wks. Everyone would go in except for the 11 babies. After the 3rd night of getting on my hands and knees with a ladle (with extended handle, usually used to reach eggs), to scoop them up, they decided that they didn’t like being scooped up and decided to follow the others in. I couldn’t lock them in because of the others needing to go in and out. But it didn’t take long and I got to tell each of the nighty night.

I start chicks outside so they're not upset by confinement at 3 days old. And I usually home them for a week but this group had a troublemaker so I cut it to 3 days. No problems finding their way! I think they know to not go very far at first and by the time I'm letting them out to range, they're well versed on returning to safety.

It's warm here during the day so I can't keep them cooped up for a few days, they need the shade and breeze of the run. Here's hoping their instincts kick in after some nightly shooing in :-(

Back
Top Bottom