Transitioning from cool to hot weather

Avrilon

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 2, 2007
Georgia Mountains
I have 14 young chickens (13 and 7 weeks old) who I moved into our coop while the weather was still relatively cool and they have done well transitioning to our hot and humid weather (96 degrees today).

But I have 10 3-week-olds and 10 4-day-olds that will eventually go from our house temperature (75 degrees give or take) to the hot and humid coop. What is the best way to transition them when the time is right? And, what age is the best to do it given the temperature? I've read that they can handle the heat okay if it's not sudden, so am concerned that too much heat too fast will be hard on these younger ones.

Thank you for any advice.
smile.png

I'm new, so this may not be the best idea, but I started out in early evenings and early mornings.

I would take the chicks outside in a pen to play when it was still cool morning air or cooler evening air. After a few times, I left them out to warm up with the air and they did fine.

Maybe someone else will have a better idea.
idunno.gif

I had to handle something similar with my first batch of chicks two years ago. I was brooding them artificially indoors, and then had to move them outdoors around June in Texas. What I did was let them spend most of the day outdoors, beginning early in the a.m. when the outdoor temp was closest to what they were used to indoors, but brought them inside by midday as it got hotter. Each day I let them stay out a little longer, and watched them for signs of heat stress. Of course I kept them in the shade, too.
After about a month of this gradual progression, they were all used to outdoors.

Thanks, Elmo and KFox; that makes sense... I shoulda thought of it... gradual exposure.
smile.png
I'm going to take them out right now for a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom