Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
When I've brooded chicks in a garage (concrete floor), I found it worked well to put down a tarp (waterproof), then large flat cardboard, then bedding on top of that.

I used a variety of dog-kennel panels, pieces of chicken wire, and cardboard boxes to make sides and a top, keeping the chicks in their own area of the garage. Because the garage itself provided protection from predators and weather, I could get away with something that would never be adequate outdoors.

My chicks got dust all over everything in the garage, but the actual droppings mostly stayed inside their area. Of course, adult chickens scratch much more vigorously than chicks, so they would probably make more mess.

I hope it goes well for you, and gets resolved quickly!
Thanks! Yeah, I have several large tarps and was thinking of using those with cardboard and bedding. I'm still not sure if that would be enough to withstand grown chicken claws... Also because I have no idea how long they'd be in there. The area I'm thinking of using is already fenced off wall to wall from the rest of the basement with a plastic baby play yard fence (left over from when the kids were babies). I have an unused roll of chicken wire, so I'll stretch that between the walls and above the baby fence to make the barrier taller so they can't fly out. So it would be that fence, and then three walls on the other sides. It should be enough. The space is actually larger than their run is! I'll put an air filter right next to them, to keep the dust down. I brooded them in the house, in the upstairs hallway, and with the air filter next to them, we didn't have any dust problems. Of course, those were baby chicks... and these are grown fluff-balls... But also, there were 15 of them at the time, and only 5 now, so maybe it won't be too bad. Ugh, I'd so much rather not have to do it. But at least they'll be out of the rain and happy :lol: They are REALLY not enjoying their first encounter with rain.

I've probably missed it, but if you do have a garage, that's a much better place for them. The dust will be awful in the basement!
Mary
I do have a garage, but it’s just barely big enough to fit our car with enough room to get out the doors... No room for anything else, and no street parking on our side because it’s a one-way street. I guess I could ask the neighbors across the street to leave the car in front of their house while the chickens are in the garage... 🤔

Thanks! I really do appreciate the outpouring of sympathy on this thread. It makes me feel better. The kids are too young to grasp or care about the drama in all this... They think having the chickens in the basement would be a blast and want to just keep them there forever :he:lol: To them, it would be fun, sure, but for me, who will need to clear out room among the basement clutter for them, fence it off and prep it, and then sanitize the crap out of everything after they move out so we can have a poop-free basement again... Not so fun.
Awwwww... I know. This is the pits! I really hope a big band of neighbors can get together about this chicken delay and maybe get the ball rolling a little?? After all, he is one neighbor. Do you think mobilizing a group again would help. Can't the town see it's one pain in the neck guy making misery for many? I would think at this point, HE would be the one who would have to compromise. I understand that you need something unassailable in writing, but I was thinking maybe the neighbors could again help put some pressure on...

PS I know this may be a little on the revenge-y side, but we seriously would put up the big (big enough to spoil a lot of his "view") camo net on top of fence at least and let the neighbor look at that for awhile!!!

Thanks! Yeah, I have several large tarps and was thinking of using those with cardboard and bedding. I'm still not sure if that would be enough to withstand grown chicken claws... Also because I have no idea how long they'd be in there. The area I'm thinking of using is already fenced off wall to wall from the rest of the basement with a plastic baby play yard fence (left over from when the kids were babies). I have an unused roll of chicken wire, so I'll stretch that between the walls and above the baby fence to make the barrier taller so they can't fly out. So it would be that fence, and then three walls on the other sides. It should be enough. The space is actually larger than their run is! I'll put an air filter right next to them, to keep the dust down. I brooded them in the house, in the upstairs hallway, and with the air filter next to them, we didn't have any dust problems. Of course, those were baby chicks... and these are grown fluff-balls... But also, there were 15 of them at the time, and only 5 now, so maybe it won't be too bad. Ugh, I'd so much rather not have to do it. But at least they'll be out of the rain and happy :lol: They are REALLY not enjoying their first encounter with rain.

Since the town is the one delaying the written rule amendments, can't you just wait it out at least awhile until they MAKE you move them? Maybe they will realize it's a delay on their end now causing this, and allow you extra time so you don't have to move them from their home.

I haven't had a chance to put the umbrellas in the run yet, so the chickens have had a lot of firsts this week - first rain AND first snow! They are not impressed with either. Their dry corner is shrinking, so they'll either need to get brave, or stay huddled there. They're still choosing not to stay inside the coop though, so that's promising, I guess.

B24A55F7-1942-4C37-BEFC-857AC421F0A7.jpeg
DADD2F69-8AAA-4D9F-89A4-1BC4B8D5492C.jpeg

Can you find some free pallets, and do a temporary, very cheap table with them? As long as it's not going to blow over, it will work for now.
Mary
Those leaves are beautiful!
I have a couple of pallets sitting around, but they're not solid on top, the rain/snow will still fall between the slats. My main hold-up is that I work full time during the work week and by the time I get done and pick the kids up, it's late, dark and raining so I can't get anything done in the run. I got a bunch done last weekend, and will need to wait for the weekend again to do more. Precipitation is supposed to stop tomorrow so I'll at least put the umbrellas up then.

I have a couple of pallets sitting around, but they're not solid on top, the rain/snow will still fall between the slats. My main hold-up is that I work full time during the work week and by the time I get done and pick the kids up, it's late, dark and raining so I can't get anything done in the run. I got a bunch done last weekend, and will need to wait for the weekend again to do more. Precipitation is supposed to stop tomorrow so I'll at least put the umbrellas up then.
Feel so terrible for you....

I don't mean to be nosy, but are you a single parent? Gosh, if so this must be just horrible for you. Live in NH...If we were neighbors we'd be over to help you out. Hoping for some good news for you soon.

Back
Top Bottom