Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
Thanks! I think they look quite nice. They are also 8 feet from the property line, so even if some twisted logic classified them as buildings, they'd still be okay. I'm planning on putting the larger one along the back wall of the run though, so within 8 feet, but still, it's an umbrella. The only thing that might go wrong is he said his decision to okay the run without a roof is appealable, too. They might try to argue that it shouldn't be okay even without a roof. But that's getting into semantics and interpretations, and I don't know how much the town would want to waste resources on that kind of fight...

I wanted to put the rooster on the roof of the coop, but it would be tricky to attach him securely without damaging the shingles. So he may need to go on top of the run frame right next to the coop, where I can screw him down to the wood.

That's an excellent creative job! I applaud you for not giving up on having the chickens! The township is always so concerned that all pets are well taken care of, have enough shelter- by not allowing you to have a tarp, they are going against their own regulations. Actually, your umbrellas look really good, better then a tarp.
Thanks! The problem is that different departments have different priorities... The Health Department deals with the animals themselves and is happy that they're well taken care of, and doesn't care about roofs, but the Building Department has its own rules and cares about the roof, and not at all about the animals. Gotta please everybody 😒

Can you get all this in writing? Or on emails, so savable? Verbal okays on the phone didn't work so well before...
Mary
I know, I'm gonna want everything in writing from now on. Right now he said that the Board of Appeals hasn't even issued their decision in writing yet, from two months ago (when I applied for a variance and it was denied), because everything is delayed due to COVID. So the order to make me move the coop and take the roof of the run off hasn't even been issued yet, even though I complied already (I wanted to get it done before it gets too cold and wet to work outside). He said that until the order has been issued, he can't technically take any further action and inspect/okay anything officially, he can just tell me unofficially that what I did was enough. But I asked him for a written letter of his approval and he said he'll send me one after he is able to inspect.

Do the holes go down into the larger piece on the ground?
Where is you get those umbrellas......they look to be the perfect size.
Brilliant!
I considered making them go through to the larger piece, but I can't fit the drill bit all the way down through the smaller piece, as the bit is only 6" long, and I didn't feel like cutting the smaller piece any further and drilling into the big one... Extra work I'm not convinced is necessary. Right now the umbrella poles go down 6", that seems to be enough. I also tied the ribs of the umbrellas to the fence at the top. We'll see how they hold up in a storm.

I got the umbrellas from Amazon. Perfect coincidence that, side by side, they are the exact length from the coop to the run door!

That'll help during wind.
Small piece are screwed to big pieces below...2-3-4 screws all around?
Sorry, am salivating for details. :oops:
Yeah, the small pieces are screwed to the big pieces from underneath - each base has 3 screws 6" long going through both pieces of wood. I should've taken progress pictures... but forgot.

It's 46 degrees outside and the drizzle is minimal. The area under the umbrellas is quite dry. And yet, this is what the chickens have to say to that:
050EF9B1-9EDE-4A65-B620-E362330F759B.jpeg

😒😄
The spoiled brats miss their roof. Oh well, they'll have to get used to a little wetness. Or figure out where the safe zone is and stay under there.

It's 46 degrees outside and the drizzle is minimal. The area under the umbrellas is quite dry. And yet, this is what the chickens have to say to that:
View attachment 2409696
😒😄
The spoiled brats miss their roof. Oh well, they'll have to get used to a little wetness. Or figure out where the safe zone is and stay under there.
I am just amazed at how great your hens look! Every one of mine is in the worst molt ever and look atrocious!

Back
Top Bottom