Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
In an unfortunate turn of events, I'll have to take the roof off of my run, because the town is counting the roofed run as a "building" and applying the building zoning code to it, and, as a building, it's too close to the property line :( (nevermind that I asked permission to build it as such in that location and got the okay from the two town officials in charge of this... :rant). So, we are where we are, and I need to take the roof off. I have two questions.

First - can I replace the roof with this welded wire mesh:

View attachment 2380000

It's 2x3 inches and 16 ga. I know the spacing is too wide to stop everything, but this will only be over the top in place of a roof, and the chickens will be locked in the coop at night... I'm doing this balancing act between the town saying it can't be "covered" on top (definition of "covered" being stretchy and up to interpretation here), and my chickens being safe. Wider mesh makes it look less "covered". I know there are no clear answers, and dense HC is the best, but still... Given my situation, what do you think the risk is? I live in the suburbs and while we do have some animals, it's not teeming with wildlife.

And my second question. I'm sad to see the roof go because it kept the run dry. My chickens have never known precipitation, and probably won't be happy with the roof gone :lol: I still want to give them something overhead so they can use the yard in rainy/snowy weather, but I can't put anything on the roof. So I had this idea and bought two large patio umbrellas :lol: Nobody regulates those, so I can just put them in the run under the overhead mesh. They are square shape, so I can put one against the side of the coop flush with the wall, and give them a dry area to walk out onto when exiting the coop. And I'll put the other one in the opposite corner over their run perches, so they can have another dry area to hang out in. Patio umbrellas are meant for the outdoors so I'm hoping they'll do the job and be okay outside, though I've never had one myself and don't know how well they do in wind/rain/snow. That's where I'll appreciate your input. The run is pretty sheltered in a corner of the yard, with a 5' tall retaining wall 8 feet away on one side, and a 6' tall privacy fence on the other side of that corner (west and north respectively). For the winter, I'll put plastic (shower curtains) along the sides of the run on the south and east as well. So it will be pretty sheltered on all sides, with not a lot of wind blowing through. I'll anchor the umbrellas as well (one against the coop wall, and the other against the run wall). And I'll tilt them so they shed rain/snow better. Would that be enough? We don't get a lot of snow anymore. Every few years I'll have to take the snow blower out, the rest of the years there isn't enough to justify it.

What do you think? Again, I know there are no clear answers and part of this is accepting some risk. I just want to see what people with more experience think about this setup.
Wow, so sorry you are having to go through this. Your run and coop are really beautiful. What a complete idiot to think this is ruining his life??? I hope you are able to come up with something for the top that will at least will protect your girls from the harsh elements during the winter. The wiring looks fine against predators but not sure how that will work for the weather challenges?

In an unfortunate turn of events, I'll have to take the roof off of my run, because the town is counting the roofed run as a "building" and applying the building zoning code to it, and, as a building, it's too close to the property line :( (nevermind that I asked permission to build it as such in that location and got the okay from the two town officials in charge of this... :rant). So, we are where we are, and I need to take the roof off. I have two questions.

First - can I replace the roof with this welded wire mesh:

View attachment 2380000

It's 2x3 inches and 16 ga. I know the spacing is too wide to stop everything, but this will only be over the top in place of a roof, and the chickens will be locked in the coop at night... I'm doing this balancing act between the town saying it can't be "covered" on top (definition of "covered" being stretchy and up to interpretation here), and my chickens being safe. Wider mesh makes it look less "covered". I know there are no clear answers, and dense HC is the best, but still... Given my situation, what do you think the risk is? I live in the suburbs and while we do have some animals, it's not teeming with wildlife.

And my second question. I'm sad to see the roof go because it kept the run dry. My chickens have never known precipitation, and probably won't be happy with the roof gone :lol: I still want to give them something overhead so they can use the yard in rainy/snowy weather, but I can't put anything on the roof. So I had this idea and bought two large patio umbrellas :lol: Nobody regulates those, so I can just put them in the run under the overhead mesh. They are square shape, so I can put one against the side of the coop flush with the wall, and give them a dry area to walk out onto when exiting the coop. And I'll put the other one in the opposite corner over their run perches, so they can have another dry area to hang out in. Patio umbrellas are meant for the outdoors so I'm hoping they'll do the job and be okay outside, though I've never had one myself and don't know how well they do in wind/rain/snow. That's where I'll appreciate your input. The run is pretty sheltered in a corner of the yard, with a 5' tall retaining wall 8 feet away on one side, and a 6' tall privacy fence on the other side of that corner (west and north respectively). For the winter, I'll put plastic (shower curtains) along the sides of the run on the south and east as well. So it will be pretty sheltered on all sides, with not a lot of wind blowing through. I'll anchor the umbrellas as well (one against the coop wall, and the other against the run wall). And I'll tilt them so they shed rain/snow better. Would that be enough? We don't get a lot of snow anymore. Every few years I'll have to take the snow blower out, the rest of the years there isn't enough to justify it.

What do you think? Again, I know there are no clear answers and part of this is accepting some risk. I just want to see what people with more experience think about this setup.
I have been raising chickens for 15 years. Chickens use the oil gland on the top of their tail to waterproof their feathers. You don't need to be overly concerned about them getting wet as long as they can't get their feet into the layer feed, you don't want that to get moldy. You might need to provide a dust bath area that is dry. As long as they are 10 to 12 weeks old or older, you are fine. I live in Colorado and I have chickens that insist on roosting in the trees or on top of their shelter instead of in the large chicken house. They need a little more feed to help them combat the cold, but I see them out foraging in rain and snow. Some of my chickens want to be free range instead of confined, so getting wet and cold is part of their choice. Sometimes I feel concern when I see them soaked to the skin, but as soon as it stops raining they shake themselves off, perch and groom their feathers. They are dry in about 15 minutes. It can get down to minus 15 degrees here but that might be one day a year. Usually it's warm during the day and below freezing at night. It will be an adjustment for your flock, and it's awful that you have to do this but I am glad you don't have to give up your birds. Chickens have been around for thousands of years and are very resilient as long as they get quality food. They are so much fun!

I have 2" x 4" welded wire on top of my whole run and it's big. As long as the chickens are locked up during the night they should be fine with that.

What if inside your run you made little "stations" or areas that have roofs. You could stand up a few pallets and put a piece of plywood covered in shingles on top so they would be outside but yet have a good place to get in out of the weather. If you could get enough pallets you could make a very cool area for them with all kinds of places where they could go in and out of but yet keep out of the rain. Or would that count as a "roof" too?

I agree with the others.A go fund me for a lawyer ,would spotlight the neighbor as a nut.He may be quieted just by that.He is harassing you,legally should be stopped.
Get your doctor to say the chickens are for therapy, for trauma,of some kind.That your neighbor is making you more anxious by his relentless attack on you and your life.
Someone needs to help you.Sounds like your overwhelmed.If he is making you sick,he must be stopped.Who gives him the right to change laws.Get a petition against him.
Laws should be grandfathered in for you.The city should also stand behind a longtime resident,not a Johnny come lately.
Put him in his place,somehow.The chickens are counting on you!
Good luck.

I'm at war with the neighbor over the chickens and the town is trying to please both sides, so they're letting me put wire on top, but no tarp, sadly. I would have LOVED to put a fluorescent-colored tarp for him to look at, though!
I've used umbrellas for my dog runs in the summer. They work great but I would put them above the wire so the wire helps hold them open and stable against any wind and snow. And just for fun I would paint the tops with wild fluorescent colors. Good neighbors are great but bad neighbors can be fun. Wild colored shower curtains are a good idea for the wind block on the sides. Neighbors would have been better off with the original roof. lol

K0k0shka I'm so sorry to hear what you're going through. I read up through page 8 of the thread, but I really need to go to bed now. Two thoughts first.
#1 I have a lean-to in my run for my chickens to hang out under if it's raining. That could work. Also, what if... WHAT IF your roof wasn't attached?! What if you just lay plywood across the top? ...NOT screwed or nailed down? Keep it slightly crooked or something to make it obvious it's not secured down. I'm sure this would still cause an itch in his pants, but legally... it's not a solid structure.
#2 I'm a Christian and the Lord is always reminding me to ask myself "What would Jesus do?" in these tough situations. In this case I think he'd have me show him love and offer this neighbor some nice fresh eggs and "TRY" to make peace. He (the Lord) would say to do all I can do, then stand. Ephesians 6:12&13 ...which sounds like what you're doing.
Peace to you and your little winged friends.
I can't wait to hear the ending to the story!

I think the city is not taking the welfare of the chickens into account here. Removing the roof is no "compromise." Chickens can withstand a lot, but wetness is a chicken killer and it isn't fair to have them trapped inside all day, or for days on end. Can you alter the roof to the property line instead of taking it down?? Can a camouflage fence or plants go up in front of the coop so your neighbor's view of the coop is removed (instead of taking the roof down)? Those things sound like a compromise..

Back
Top Bottom