Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
I don't mean to be nosy, but are you a single parent? Gosh, if so this must be just horrible for you. Live in NH...If we were neighbors we'd be over to help you out. Hoping for some good news for you soon.
No, I'm not single but my spouse works full time too. At least we can both work from home. I can take breaks occasionally to go and check on the chickens, but I can't stay there long enough to work on the run. When it's not raining, I can get little bits done in the afternoon after I pick the kids up, but when it's cold and raining I just can't get anything done. The chickens do still have roofing over 1/3 of the run, plus the coop itself, so I think they'll be fine until the weekend. It's annoying, but they're not in real danger.

P.S. Thank you for the kind words! :love

Last edited:
Wow, this snow really snuck up on me! We weren't supposed to get any accumulation, and now it's projected to keep snowing until evening. I may need to go out during my lunch break and open those umbrellas up for the poor fluff balls. They can't even get to the coop because they'd need to cross the big scary white patch :lol: At least they have food and water in their little huddle corner.
E6EF869E-3EAC-4AE5-803B-FF26D6395B2D.jpeg

We had to have an intervention, the snow got deep and it was blowing sideways under the still-roofed area as well. The poor chickens were wet, muddy and huddled in a small corner. I took some time and went out there, put the two umbrellas in, put clear shower curtains (which I'd bought for this purpose) against the sides of the run, hanging on carabiner clips from their grommets and pinned along the bottom with leftover fencing panels that I tied to the run fence so they don't fall over. I raked the snow out of the now-dry area and put fresh dry shavings down. I sprinkled some scratch and sunflower seeds around the dry area to coax the chickens to come out and explore. They came out to eat out of my hand, were very impressed by the new state of things, and proceeded to enjoy their new dry area. I feel MUCH better now, and so do they!

(I realize that this setup isn't best in terms of stability, but it just has to do for now until I can secure the umbrellas better over the weekend).

D709FDD9-7251-4FE7-96C3-EA6E2A3F5305.jpeg
A9385CCD-EEED-4D99-AFB9-418F178EAEC6.jpeg
7D912953-07A7-484C-BE97-79ADD0F838BF.jpeg
05F471D8-B1D2-4953-9478-ED81526A0AD5.jpeg
CFA106E6-81DD-4450-B5FF-7216B4122A80.jpeg

I overlapped the umbrellas with the remaining roof a little so that snow doesn't blow in from the edges. I'll figure out better placement later, this is just good enough for now:
9E1AF65B-5770-4B0A-B1DD-C59ECEDF70FF.jpeg
2DCBBFF3-EB23-4C0E-AB9B-04B5F8181574.jpeg

I didn't read through the entire thread but...You can't have a roof. Put the wire on top and then put the blue tarp a couple inches below it on the inside. Its not a roof its now a ceiling on the inside of the pen.

Wow, this snow really snuck up on me! We weren't supposed to get any accumulation, and now it's projected to keep snowing until evening. I may need to go out during my lunch break and open those umbrellas up for the poor fluff balls. They can't even get to the coop because they'd need to cross the big scary white patch :lol: At least they have food and water in their little huddle corner.
View attachment 2392738
This is awful. Our hens absolutely hate snow and rain. We have the same run roof you do. I feel so bad. Those hens need a roof on the run in NE. Hopefully the umbrellas will help in the interim. Hoping that some way in the long run you can have the clear roof back.

We put clear plastic heavy duty shower liner curtains up around our run every year. We use these to attach---Reusable, adjustable, and so easy. There are several sizes.

https://www.amazon.com/Bungee-Cords...=9690_9888050&keywords=bungee+cord+for+tarps&
View attachment 2393025
Cool idea! How do you attach them to the bottom? I'm using the grommets along the top edge (with carabiner clips) and that works great, but I don't know if there's a good way to do the bottom without punching holes in the curtains... Or how to do it in a way that wouldn't have the material split and rip where it's been punctured.

Unfortunately I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but, has anyone mentioned a sliding awning? Sometimes also called a pergola canopy I believe.
I added clarifications to the original post so that new people wouldn’t have to read through everything. I can’t have anything at all attached to the frame above except wire. So no awnings. I was thinking patio umbrellas because they are free-standing separate entities, and not regulated.

Cool idea! How do you attach them to the bottom? I'm using the grommets along the top edge (with carabiner clips) and that works great, but I don't know if there's a good way to do the bottom without punching holes in the curtains... Or how to do it in a way that wouldn't have the material split and rip where it's been punctured.
We have 1/2 inch hardware cloth on the run, so it's easy to attach the tops. We use them year after year. For the bottom, we fold the shower curtain out (laying on the ground, as our run below the roof is not as tall as the curtain. In just a few places we place rocks on top of it. (Predator deterrent as well! If your run is taller than your curtain I would run a piece of duct tape (or other heavy well-sticking all weather tape) all along the bottom on both sides and then cut holes at intervals for the bungees. With the tape on there the holes won't rip out.

Back
Top Bottom