Transitioning from roofed to roofless run

Pics
I'm dying to know, but I have no idea. He would've had to read about it in the paper (assuming he knows to look for it there or that he reads the paper at all, or knows it even exists), or call specifically and ask. He was following the case and participating very actively (to oppose), so I imagine he was eager to know the outcome and probably called to ask. So my bet would be that he knows. Might be why I haven't heard from him since then - he has either given up, or is regrouping and planning a new line of attack from a different angle :hmm
Well I am so happy that all the chicken lovers in your neighborhood won! Can't wait to see the lighted roo. Too bad Scrooge lives on your block, LOL!

I have to say... I like the floor of the run better now that it has no roof. Before, it used to always be incredibly dry. Which, in general, is a good thing. However, it was also very very dusty... especially when the chickens were actively scratching or dust-bathing. Everything was covered with a thick layer of dust, including and especially the poor bush that's in there. Over the summer, I had to periodically hose it down so it could breathe. But now, the ground is pleasantly moist, and the thick layer of organic matter on the floor looks like it's starting to compost, finally. And I've noticed that the chickens will eat random organic matter like bits of fallen leaves or blades of hay left over from the summer lawn mowings, if it has been moistened and softened by water first. So, more things for them to eat and a better scratching experience. Silver linings!

I have to say... I like the floor of the run better now that it has no roof. Before, it used to always be incredibly dry. Which, in general, is a good thing. However, it was also very very dusty... especially when the chickens were actively scratching or dust-bathing. Everything was covered with a thick layer of dust, including and especially the poor bush that's in there. Over the summer, I had to periodically hose it down so it could breathe. But now, the ground is pleasantly moist, and the thick layer of organic matter on the floor looks like it's starting to compost, finally. And I've noticed that the chickens will eat random organic matter like bits of fallen leaves or blades of hay left over from the summer lawn mowings, if it has been moistened and softened by water first. So, more things for them to eat and a better scratching experience. Silver linings!
That's great!

I'm in the "wait till December" camp, but I've been faced with a lot of pressure this year (both on BYC and at home :lol: ) because of this rooster, so I'm making an exception and doing it while it's technically still November (the 1st is on a work day and I won't be able to do it then). But it HAS to be after Thanksgiving!
Here is the first photo of our lighted hen taken tonight! We just put it up.The others were taken Thanksgiving at dusk. We just LOVE how it looks! (Will also post the link to the Christmastide photo gallery of our home---It was a 22 yr. long DIY labor of love to restore the little 250 year old cape.)

chicklit3.jpg

chicklit2.jpg

chicklit6.jpg

chicklit8.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the first photo of our lighted hen taken tonight! We just put it up. I will post another soon taken more at dusk, but we just LOVE how it looks! (Will also post the link to the Christmastide photo gallery of our home---It was a 22 yr. long DIY labor of love to restore the little 250 year old cape.)

View attachment 2425439

View attachment 2425440
Whoa! Bright indeed! A beacon of chickenness. It's awesome!

I wasn't able to find the Christmas photos on your website, but I enjoyed looking through your other pictures and projects. Beautiful! That coop with the curtains and the seed packet flags is adorable! I love old houses and the old house feel and aesthetic. Reminds me of my childhood. I would love to see your Christmas decor as well!

Whoa! Bright indeed! A beacon of chickenness. It's awesome!

I wasn't able to find the Christmas photos on your website, but I enjoyed looking through your other pictures and projects. Beautiful! That coop with the curtains and the seed packet flags is adorable! I love old houses and the old house feel and aesthetic. Reminds me of my childhood. I would love to see your Christmas decor as well!
Hi again! The Christmastide photo gallery is not up yet; We're uploading it TODAY, Thanksgiving! I will put a direct link to it here later! Thanks for the compliments. We really worked hard on the house/property for many years on a tight budget.

The hen is bright, but I think it looks brighter in these pictures because of trying to photograph it without a flash at night. Anyway she is adorable! We're really glad we got it!

Back
Top Bottom