Transitioning outside

CT DCP

Hatching
Mar 12, 2017
Hey all. So I am in New England and have 6 chicks that are around 6 weeks old. We are still keeping them inside 24-7 in a now crowded brooder and would like to move them outside. Temps at night hovering around 40 and days ranging 40-70 recently. Should they be good going outside? They are fully feathered and under a lamp inside but I want them out without the lamp. Thoughts and advice appreciated!

Turn off the lamp. You need to acclimate them to no lamp if you wish to put them out. I usually run a lamp at that age at night, but they may be okay.

I personally would put them out during the day and bring them back inside at night, with no lamp, plus they need to get used to being in the dark, for a week or two to finish acclimating them. Than out they would stay.

For future reference, chicks in the house can be off heat all day long by the time they are 3 weeks old, and off heat completely by 4 weeks. They can easily be moved to the unheated coop by 4 - 5 weeks. Many of us brood our chicks outside, and they self regulate, weaning themselves from their heating pad by the time they are 4 weeks old. This in night time temps of 30 - 40*. time to cut the apron strings!!! Enjoy having your house back.

Back
Top Bottom