transitioning to outside

highjacd

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 3, 2013
i have 3, 5 weeks old chicks that i want to put outside, but it's been raining and 40 degrees every day. i know they have enough feathers to go outside, but i already have 4 hens out there. last time i transitioned i kept the chicks outside in a fenced off area for a few days, so the hens could get used to them, but it was warmer outside. i know they could probably be in the coop with a heat lamp, but i don't want to lock the hens out of the coop. it's 45 degrees outside right now and wet from yesterdays rain. think i can put them in the yard fenced off for a little while?
what would you do?

well...i ended up building them a little ghetto looking shelter for now. i have a kiddie pool with a hole in it, so i propped it upside down and fed the heat lamp through the hole. so they are fenced off from the bigger hens with warmth and shelter, but they are outside and can come and go as they please. the big hens don't even seem phased by them. they aren't even spending much time under the light, so they must not be cold....
i will bring them in at tonight i think.

Back
Top Bottom