Translucent Chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChickensAreSweet, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    I vaguely remember seeing that before. I don't know where, but it's awesome! I want a coop like that!

3. Ms Ellen

Ms Ellen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Virginia
    This looks very cool but I am trying to understand it. The part with the sticks. does that have the clear panel behind it too, or is that area for ventilation and has just sticks?

4. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    The sticks are on the outside and are just decoration (see the picture of the nest box). What I'm wondering is what is the inside light source? I didn't see anything on the inside pictures.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  5. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I have to wonder how it does in winter. I'm sure the sun coming in would warm the inside, but it's plexiglass... I wonder how well it would hold up in regular 40mph+ winds...?

6. sianara

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    I agree. Even though it was built in New England I don't think it's going to be very practical for keeping them warm during frigid winter months. Also I didn't really notice the ventilation, not saying it isn't there just that I didn't notice any...

7. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    Just from looking at the "dusk" pix, I would have to say it appears that there are a couple of heat lamps inside the coop that weren't shown in any of the pix. This is also probably what they are using to assist with those cold winter temps.

8. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

It looks cool but I didn't see ANY ventilation except the little 1" gaps between the rafters and the purlins. Not nearly enough.

9. sianara

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Yep that's what I was thinking too...

10. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I cant really contribute much of anything useful because when I first read the title of the post I read it as "Translucent Chicken Soup." I must admit that I was just a little disappointed when I discovered its true nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by