Transporting a small flock

scatchandmax

Chirping
6 Years
May 18, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Has anyone transported their flock to a different state? We're moving 900 miles away, about a 13 hour drive. I know it's more practical to rehome our 5 hens here and start fresh at our new home, but I wanted to at least look into transporting them in case it's not prohibitively expensive. Has anyone done this or know of what kind of companies do this?

Well....my daughter married a farmer in Tennessee, got married here (in Oregon), and a wedding present from me was about 5 of my best laying hens.

They traveled pulling a small "stock" trailer set up for the chickens. We put in plenty of soft bedding and apple slices to give them some moisture during the trip. They stopped and fed and watered them in the late afternoon.

The hens even managed to lay an egg or two on the way, and arrived in Tennessee just fine (which is most of the way across the continent from me).

Just so you have some perspective, the family smiled and waved as about 70 years earlier, my grandmother (with my father and two siblings in tow), loaded up a couple of Conestoga wagons, a flock of hens in the tail gate of one, and traveled from the dust bowl in South Dakota to a new homestead in Oklahoma. They stopped in late afternoon and let the hens forage. By the way, they got an egg or two on the way.

So yeah, it is very doable. Just make sure they have a stable enclosed trailer, some air flow, plenty of nesting material to soften bumps, some apple slices for moisture during the trip, and food and water at evening. You may even get a few "eggs on the way." LOL.

Good luck with your move.
LofMc

EDITED TO ADD: And yes of course, get a clean bill of health from your Vet for the chickens and check local laws.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of their set up :)

saying goodbye 008.jpg

Has anyone transported their flock to a different state? We're moving 900 miles away, about a 13 hour drive. I know it's more practical to rehome our 5 hens here and start fresh at our new home, but I wanted to at least look into transporting them in case it's not prohibitively expensive. Has anyone done this or know of what kind of companies do this?

Crossing State lines with chickens generally requires either that the birds originate from an NPIP participant's flock, or a veterinary inspection. The rules are different for each state, but for most States, an NPIP form VS 9-3 will suffice.

CA residents recently (2018-2020) exported Newcastle disease to surrounding states, potentially risking millions of dollars in losses, and causing flock cullings in Utah and Arizona as well. Millions of birds were culled to stop it, the last two times its popped up there.

Forget practical. Its much more responsible to rehome and start over in your new state, after your residence is established.

/edit and I say this as one who generally disfavors Gov't intrusion into our lives, and the abuses of what the US legal system has become. The fact is, a private individual almost certainly does not have the resources to make affected others "whole", assuming causation can be proven, by knowingly or unknowingly transporting sick birds across state lines - as some of your fellow citizens recently did. [again]

We on the East Coast are dealing with our own lockdowns right now - Avian Influenza.

Last edited:
I agree U-Stormcrow, it is a huge trip, multiple states, and while you think, I won't let them out, the wind or breeze transmits many bird diseases. Wether you think commercial flocks are wrong or right, no one deserves to have their flocks and income destroyed by transporting animals inappropriately or illegally.

As a cattle rancher, that has suffered huge losses this year, due to a neighbor... it is too close to home. Please contact each state, and follow their rules.

Often times too, a move of that magnitude, means that you are totally changing climates, which can be hard on birds not acclimated. It would be much better to sell the birds into your local community, and start afresh in the new place.

Mrs K

Bearing in mind the above,

First, check legality for every state that you will cross and comply -- for reasons stated above.

Second, IF you decided to make the trip with them, make sure that proper facilities are already in place before you start the trip.

Third, consider the likely weather that you will encounter. Moving the chickens inside a heated/air-conditioned vehicle might be necessary.

Fourth, consider traveling at night when the birds would naturally be asleep. Covering the cages/carriers to minimize light but allow plenty of ventilation might help keep them from panicking and hurting themselves.

Fifth, chicken transport crates for meaties are low and tightly-packed for a reason -- to keep the chickens lying down if possible and to prevent them from getting hurt by being thrown around. There is a sweet spot somewhere between jammed in tight and so much room that they can be hurt if you have to come to a sudden stop or make a sudden swerve.

Consider everything and decide wisely based on your exact circumstances.

And good luck with the move in general. :)

Back
Top Bottom