Transporting chickens in hot weather? Need help asap!

jaybanana

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 20, 2012
Down Under
I was going to pick up 2 chickens this afternoon, about 50 mins away. The heat wasn't going to be a problem, boxes in the car with the air conditioner going (it is between 35-41c today here and where we are going, so 95-105f).
Now they have offered me the rest of their flock, feed and waterers. 7 chickens in total. The only way I can think of doing it is to lay one of the back seats down (a single seat), and have them in boxes in the boot, with the airconditioner going. Do you think this will be okay? Or will it still get too hot back there for them?

Any other ideas?

They should be O.k. if it's only a short trip and it's not too hot in the car. What you can do is make slits near the bottoms of the boxes and more slits/holes near the top so they got some ventilation in there. Crates would be ideal if you can get some. Just line the bottom with something non-slippery for the poop.

Make certain they have good ventilation during transport and not overly crowded. Additionally, consider having birds standing on we newspaper during transport. It will increase stink but enable evaporative cooling in contact with bird's feet. Are you certain aircondition impacts air of boot? If not then prop boot partially open. Otherwise transport birds in cab with you as 7 large fowl would fit easily.

Thanks guys! We ended up taking my station wagon, no air con, but with windows down there was plenty of ventilation! And we waited till late afternoon before we went, so came home in sundown.

That worked for you. Transporting birds is a three or four times per year challenge for us. If it is hot, I usually try to travel during the night. Never had an issue, thank goodness. I remind myself that birds have been transported by ship, on railroads and by folks attending shows. All this has been done for a very long time. We just have to think things through.

Glad it worked out well for you.

Last edited:
That worked for you. Transporting birds is a three or four times per year challenge for us. If it is hot, I usually try to travel during the night. Never had an issue, thank goodness. I remind myself that birds have been transported by ship, on railroads and by folks attending shows. All this has been done for a very long time. We just have to think things through.

Glad it worked out well for you.
Yes, that is true and even very experienced show folks (50+ years) will occasionally loose birds to heat stress owing to something like inadequate ventilation as going down road. Vents vibrate closed or sun comes making for greenhouse effect.

Back
Top Bottom