Transporting Chickens

Redhead Rae

Chickens, chickens everywhere!
7 Years
Jan 4, 2017
Braxton County, WV
What is the best way to transport chickens? In the spring I will be giving friends a Mama with 1-2 week or older chicks, a few pullets and a rooster. The friends are 5 hours away and we would pack them up in the afternoon, 2-3pm, and driving until we arrive. What would be the best way to transport them? I was thinking rubbermaid totes with holes in the sides or cardboard boxes large enough for them to stand in.

Everyone one says dog crates. I moved mine 3 hours away in a uhaul with them in cardboard boxes. Make sure they have ventilation and don't get too hot. It's best to move them really early or late in day. I also moved a group of 6 inside there coop. Just made sure coop was secure and nothing but them were it. No losses and hens didn't even stop laying so must've not been too stressful for them.

I used the big lidded plastic containers, with large holes cut in the sides and tops. I lined them with straw. They'll be better if you can put them somewhere dark, but still well ventilated and cool. In fact, if I move chickens again, I'll do it after dusk when they're easy to catch while roosting and will just go back to sleep in the car.

What do you line these with? Pine shavings or paper towels or regular towels?
With all the climate change natural disasters going on this year, we're putting together an emergency kit for the animals

What an excellent idea. I have a lidded plastic container in the coop with extra pellets and water in, for any emergency. I can easily pop their transport container, with straw in the bottom, out there as well, all ready if they have to be moved in a hurry. I have the cat's cage, with blanket, water, food and a harness in it as well.

I used to carry mine back and forth to the lake every weekend when they were growing. I used a box with holes and when they got older I used a dog carrier to transport them in. I have used paper towels, but liked shavings better. Chicks are shipped without food and water, so your will be fine. Just make sure they are out of the sun.

I plan on keeping the car a nice temp as I'll have a 1.75 year old human along with me. If we stop, I'll always have a person in the car with the chickens. Is it better to toss a towel over the crates/boxes to keep the chickens calm?

Back
Top Bottom