Transporting Chickens

I used pine shavings...no food they won't eat on the road and you do want them to be big enough that they aren't squished in there but not so big they can slide or move all over in it. It's best if they just lay down in there and sit while riding. Cozy but not cramped. If only putting one bird in each box something the size of a bankers/file box. If you're moving a couple in each box go a little bigger like a medium to large moving box from Lowe's, depending on bird size. If they can lay down in there and just a few inches around between them and the box that is good...ya want em to be able to turn around in it but not run around and move all over.

The few times we have transported them I have always used cardboard boxes with large wide vents cut into the sides. The biggest concern is keeping them cool enough. Their body heat inside the boxes can raise the temperature in there really quickly, so even if your car is a good temp, the temp inside the boxes could be much higher if there isn't enough ventilation. Also the boxes are darker inside than plastic would be. I would not throw a towel over the top because it could act as an insulator and increase the heat inside the boxes even more.

I just happen to have dogs so I use their metal dog crates when I transport chickens and just put pine shavings on the bottom. The longest I have traveled with chickens is 3 hours and I made sure i had a water in the crate for them and they were fine.

I used to carry mine back and forth to the lake every weekend when they were growing. I used a box with holes and when they got older I used a dog carrier to transport them in. I have used paper towels, but liked shavings better. Chicks are shipped without food and water, so your will be fine. Just make sure they are out of the sun.
Ooh weekends at the lake!! Those are some lucky chicks!
Curious did any of them hang out around the lake or go into the water? I just saw this thing about Monique the chicken who's been sailing around the world
https://www.boredpanda.com/sailing-chicken-guy-monique-guirec-soudee/

Thank you for all the great ideas! I use pine shavings in the coop now so I'll probably stick with that since they're used to it.

Good suggestions.

I would only add to put in apple slices. When you stop (and with a 1.75 person in the car, chances are you will for a diaper change), they may take some time to refresh with the apple slices.

My daughter and SIL transported 5 birds across the US in the back of a trailer (partitioned off). The apple slices work really well.

LofMc

I never let the chickens loose, too many dogs in the neighborhood.

IMG_0349.PNG
A couple years ago I rescued mallard ducks and took them back and forth on weekends too and eventually released them at the lake.

I love following Monique! Awesome chicken.

Everyone one says dog crates. I moved mine 3 hours away in a uhaul with them in cardboard boxes. Make sure they have ventilation and don't get too hot. It's best to move them really early or late in day. I also moved a group of 6 inside there coop. Just made sure coop was secure and nothing but them were it. No losses and hens didn't even stop laying so must've not been too stressful for them.
I use a large dog crate with a washable rug in the bottom. The one time I didn't use a rug, the hens were slipping and sliding all over the crate, in their poop that ended up on the backseat passenger door...yuk! I have used boxes with holes, but prefer the crate. I saw another person who used artificial turf rug in the bottom and used the attachable water and food cups for the journey.

I use plastic storage totes that I turned into transport cage. One tote I cut the center of the lid out and hot glued wire mesh on it. The other totes I just built a door were the lid goes.
When I transported my chickens and ducks in these, they didn't stop laying even after a 12 hour move. They were nice and calm when we took them out and they are just tall enough for chickens and ducks to stand up in. Any exposed screws were coated in hot glue for birds couldn't get hurt by them.

Here is the brown totes lid. I chose to build a opening door for it instead.
IMG_2494.JPG IMG_2495.JPG
IMG_2496.JPG IMG_2497.JPG IMG_2498.JPG IMG_2499.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom