Transporting

Clmirabilio92

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2019
Wasnt sure where this post would fall under in the categories, but I'm moving 1000 miles away in a month and I am wondering do I need to build big crate type boxes for my chickens and ducks, or can I put them in boxes like I've been reading people do. This is my first time taking them anywhere far away, thank you!

It will be 16 hours. How big should I build them and how many?
I only have 9 chickens and 4 ducks.
What if I made a big one for the chickens and put their waterer in there that they have to peck to get the water out, would that work?

How many hours will it be?
You will need a way to water them during the trip. Building a couple of wooden crates with easy access to put in water and feed while you stop would work.

It will be 16 hours. How big should I build them and how many?
I only have 9 chickens and 4 ducks.
What if I made a big one for the chickens and put their waterer in there that they have to peck to get the water out, would that work?
I'd just stop every few hours to water them incase it spills and they get wet. I'd definitely have separate crates for Chickens and Ducks because being confined could cause pecking..

What does that mean exactly?? I've seen people take them across states and they've been fine.. I would be going up north with them, from the south.

one thing to think about are you moving in state or are you going to cross state lines? if you take them across state lines they may hold you up and quarantine them if you are not NPIP certified

Livestock rules are different, and chickens and ducks are livestock!!!
Check with your state veterinarian's office, and with the state vet where you are going. There will likely be testing necessary, and you need time to get it done. Look on the USDA website for assistance too.
Big dog crates work well for travel, if building something doesn't appeal. You might find some on craigslist for cheap too. They are handy for managing birds anyway.
Mary

What does that mean exactly?? I've seen people take them across states and they've been fine.. I would be going up north with them, from the south.
Usually a health certificate from your vet is enough if not NPIP. No they may not stop you or ask questions at state lines. But it's better to be prepared and not get your animals confiscated and quarantined or destroyed for no reason (think California and others had a recent New Castle outbreak with mandatory euthanasia). Every state is the US has import rules for livestock and that includes from other states. Even shipping eggs without proper documentation is technically illegal... whether folks get caught or not.

Dogs aren't carrying diseases that could threaten our whole food supply chain. There are reasons most rules or laws are in place even if we don't recognize the threat or reason why.

Moving is difficult and exhausting. I also like the wire dog crates for transport. Hope it goes well and y'all settle in quickly at your new place! :fl

Back
Top Bottom