Transylvanian Pterosaurs - The Naked Neck Chronicles

Bit of an update on the eggs.

Disappointingly I think a lot of them were not fertile. Only 3 seem to have development and 1 of those has quit. So I only have 2 eggs out of 11 that might hatch. And 1 Wyandotte with them (out of 6).

The 2 Transylvanians that are developing look good. Nice movement and veins on candling.

So I now have the Polish sitting on the viable eggs, and the Sussex sitting on some that I wasn't 100% sure I would remove yet. I took 6 eggs out that were obviously clear.

Had a bit of a scare yesterday when I was giving the hens a break to eat and drink (Polish has got thinner than I would like), and I usually set a timer on Alexa for 15 mins to make sure they are back on the nest.

Well I got stuck into some work and forgot and it was about an hour later that I went back and found the Polish hen stressing and clucking and looking for her eggs. She only has to jump up a couple of feet to the nest box but can't seem to realise that that is in her power, so I lifted her up and put her back. The eggs were cold, and I was kicking myself for not setting a timer and forgetting the time. Mentally, I gave up on them.

Anyway, I candled again in the evening when it got dark and the 3 that I could see movement in the day before were wriggling away like tadpoles! Phew!

Mental note: Always set a timer and never trust a hen to have any common sense!

Hello happy chickeny folks from around the world!

I have started this thread to chronicle the journey of some Naked Neck chickens I am going to hatch.

I have never had this breed before, so this is a bit of an experiment. I've raised probably 20 or so other breeds before and have been a keen chickener for about 17 years, so I hope I know what I'm doing, but every day is a learning opportunity and I love experiencing new breeds.

I am based in the UK and only have a smallish garden area but my birds usually free range (unless in birdflu flockdown restrictions) and there is enough space for everyone.

I have a small shed type coop, with a covered run one side and an open netted run under trees on the other. In the covered run there is a double decker rabbit hutch that serves as an isolation unit when needed, but is mostly used as brooding boxes and where the chicks spend their first week or so.

I don't have an incubator, but I keep bantams and they often go broody so I sometimes take the opportunity to hatch babies when they do.

I wasn't going to hatch this year, having had the noise and hassle of rehoming unwanted cockerels for the past 3 years, I thought I'd give my neighbours a break! Also my flock had stabilised with 8 hens and my old cock had died, so they were all happy and settled in a stable sisterhood.

Then disaster struck and a predator got 4 of my hens. That was half the flock. The 4 remaining hens seemed very lost, even after a couple of weeks time to get over missing their sisters. By heck they really mourned them the first week. Pacing around, calling for them constantly, being really unsettled and nervous. It felt like being 1 of 4 just wasn't enough of a "flock" for them.

So I decided to hatch more babies and deal with the inconvenience of cockerels again.

But what breeds to get?

I really wanted more Polish to replace my favourite little ditzy girls who had died, but I couldn't find the colours I wanted at the right time. So I ordered some Wyandottes (for the colours), Black or Lavender Araucanas (for the blue eggs) and English cuckoo Marans (for the dark brown eggs). They are under my Splash Speckled Sussex hen who is just a year old. She has been great at sitting. Out of 12, only 6 have made it so far (infertility, crack, and I dropped one 😕). They were shipped eggs so I expected this. We are currently on Day 19 so I am expecting hatch time any day now. It has been very hot here in the UK the past 3 weeks (relatively for us, up to 32°C). So with the warm weather and them being bantams I usually see babies from Day 18 onwards.

Anyway, this thread is not about this hatch. But these chicks will form part of the overall Transylvanian family. Don't you just love that name! We don't call them Turkens here, I suspect because we know they are not a cross between chickens and turkeys, so the name never stuck! It's a fun idea though 😂.

Out of my 4 remaining hens, 3 are broody. That leaves one poor lonely hen chickening around all day all on her own! But then it won't be for long.

I have bought 12 Naked Neck eggs and had them shipped to me from a British breeder. 11 survived the post. I am also due to receive a further 4 Wyandottes as replacements for the earlier infertile eggs, so these will be put with the Nakeds. I will split them across the remaining 2 broodies, and then assuming only half develop these will be put with the Polish as she is a proven mum and super friendly. The other hen, a Light Sussex, will be kept as a spare just in case, and then I'll break her or she will give up when there are no eggs.

The first hatch (of other breeds) will go back in the main coop after about a week when they outgrow the hutch, and because I find early integration into the flock works best. That being said, the flock is only one Welsummer as the rest are all sitting on eggs!

That will leave the 2 hutches free as broody boxes.

I've posted pics of the eggs. Note the variation of colours, and how pointy they are! I've got black and blue chicks, but no idea if the colour of the bird is at all related to the colour of the egg.

So, please wish me luck, pitch in to this thread with your experience and wisdom (please!) and enjoy all the pics I will be posting!
I love naked necks, ours are very easy going.

Hi, we have a hatch!

Only 2 Transylvanian eggs made it to the end. Plus 1 Wyandotte. So I went and bought some baby chicks to go with them: Polish, Lavender Barred Araucana, and gold Partridge Wyandotte. 10 babies in total.

The earlier 2 that hatched under another hen (English Cuckoo Marans who is a girl and Lavender Araucana who is a boy) are doing well.

I will post some pics in the next post.

There is H who is blonde and I had to help him hatch. He was shrink wrapped by the inner membrane. I'm actually wondering if he is a frizzle. Wing feathers look a bit frizzly to me. Let me know what you think.

And Midnight, who is black and a little pom pom. Both are cute as buttons.

Naked Neck Spam incoming!

7 days old today and still so tiny!

Attachments

• 20230723_192046.jpg
    20230723_192046.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230723_191746.jpg
    20230723_191746.jpg
    477.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230723_191814.jpg
    20230723_191814.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 10