trapped a raccoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics

nothingincommon

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2016
Homestead, FL
He's taken out 6 of my chickens. Florida doesnt allow transporting/relocating them and local animal control says they wont take him.
Im left with 2 options: release or kill. Which means I really only have one option.

I have read all about the "best" way to do it.
1) I have a 9mm and 30-06 rifle - too much - cant scare the neighbors ( cant shoot him)
2) Read about drowning - seems inhumane to me ( i guess some call it "baptizing " )
3) Read about poison but some sites say to absolutely avoid this option (im not sure if that advice applies to a trapped one)
4) CO - I thought I can put the trap in a big cardboard box I have with the tail pipe of my car redirected into the well taped/sealed box.

Anyone have any thoughts about how i can off this guy ? Is the CO option legit?

Cheers!

Last edited:
He's taken out 6 of my chickens. Florida doesnt allow transporting/relocating them and local animal control says they wont take him.
Im left with 2 options: release or kill. Which means I really only have one option.

I have read all about the "best" way to do it.
1) I have a 9mm and 30-06 rifle - too much - cant scare the neighbors ( cant shoot him)
2) Read about drowning - seems inhumane to me ( i guess some call it "baptizing " )
3) Read about poison but some sites say to absolutely avoid this option (im not sure if that advice applies to a trapped one)
4) CO2 - I thought I can put the trap in a big cardboard box I have with the tail pipe of my car redirected into the well taped/sealed box.

Anyone have any thoughts about how i can off this guy ? Is the CO2 option legit?

Cheers!
Can you borrow a smaller gun??
Or is stabbing legal in US?

He's in here, I dont think he has rabies as he was out and about during the day chasing after chickens..
I dont know how I would get a knife in there..

Attachments

• raccoon.png
    raccoon.png
    845 KB · Views: 17
There's not enough CO2 in car exhaust to kill him, but there's definitely enough CO (carbon monoxide). That would be the most humane (like going to sleep).

Exhaust from the vehicle worked well to kill a rat that had gotten into the wall of our garage. Your animal's a bit bigger.

A .22 is used here for the coons/skunks in traps. Usually through the base of the head as they're looking down and away from you...it's instant. And the trap isn't damaged by the bullet which is my concern. If you're going to be trapping constantly...personally, I'd invest in a .22. Maybe even a .17 would work...maybe be cheaper?

I've never drowned an animal. I feel the same as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom