Trapping - All I got was a toe nail - Update Lucky was UN Lucky

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, May 16, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Ok anybody that reads this can stop laughing at me now. [​IMG]

We have an ongoing battle with 'possums here. There is a drainage that runs thru part of our property and seems to be a 'possum super highway. Since Jan. I have trapped close to 30 in the same trap, in same den hole. Well this morning I went out to check the trap, and the ground is all torn up so I knew I had something. Then I saw the trap sitting off to one side and sprung. ??????? There is no way something could pull it's foot out so when I looked closer there was a toe nail in the jaws of the trap and just a little piece of meat on the end. Sooooo if anybody out there runs into a 'possum missing a toe the 'possum's name is Lucky.

Steve in NC

Oh and you can go back to laughing at me again

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  2. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    [​IMG] Thats good stuff. A friend and i set up one to catch something that was messing with the feed. A day later.....we caught his puppy.

3. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Lol [​IMG] I'm sorry you are having trouble with the possums, but that is funny! It reminds me of when I was trying to catch a mouse...we caught it's toe in the snap trap and it must of had a heart attack! [​IMG]

4. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    A;; I can think to say is
    "One Piece At a Time"

[​IMG]

5. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Just an odd question, but what type of trap?

The Hav-a-hart traps like this are the best ones I've found:
    [​IMG]

There's another one...it's got wire but a vinyl covering over it...does NOT work at all. Can't catch a thing in it.

It's similar to this, but has black vinyl coating on it:
    [​IMG]

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:That would work. lol

Steve

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Quote:We don't trap and release.

8. Caleb x49

Caleb x49 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Illinois
    lmao. one day i shot a black bird with my pellet gun and i put it in a raccoon trap hoping to catch a raccoon or possum but no. what did i catch? a gosh darn rabbit... a vegetarian animal going for a dead bird??

9. Caleb x49

Caleb x49 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Illinois
    btw steve you can still kill it through there. i just set my rifle barrel through a hole and shoot

10. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    I am sorry, it is funny. But, I sympothise..

I use a live trap, and back when I was catching coons by the thousands (not really, but dozens for sure), I caught one, it had been eluding me for a while, springing my trap and getting the food and getting away. I finally outsmarted it, caught it and about the time I got it out, and was putting it in the back of the truck to drive down to the 'killing grounds' I heard a goat, she was stuck in the fence, so I went to help her. I put a brick on top and was gone 4 minutes.

When I got back the sucker was gone. I was SOOOO mad!!

And I agree, I dont trap and release either, but like caleb said, if you stick the barrel through, you can shoot it easy. I always did.

And not to be too graphic, but, usually the coon would grab and bite the barrel, making sure I got a quick and perfect kill. No suffering. since a possum will swell up and doesnt run scared, they would be easy too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by