1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Trapping Coons- Best bait to use

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bantamboy93, Nov 1, 2011.

1. bantamboy93

bantamboy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    I've tried sardines for several nights in a row and still haven't gotten anything but a possum. What's the best bait you've used that's had the best results for catching coons. I've got to catch these boogers!

2. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Canned cat food.

3. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    ...and chicken

4. Hens & Hounds

Hens & Hounds Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    NJ
    hmmm let's see apples, marshmallows, corn, peanut butter & catfood for starters [​IMG]

5. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I use peanut butter and it works for me.

6. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

i just drop in some white bread. worked better for me than cat food. maybe they see it better in the dark.

7. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    molasses, karo syrup , honey bun sweet corn , grapes (scuppernongs) bout half rotten (fermented) persimmons

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  8. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Quote:The sardines really should do it. Raccoons pick through garbage, they'll eat just about anything. Let me tell you my first coon trapping story.

I remember trapping our first raccoon we were outsmarted by the thing repeatedly. We were still learning how to set the trap. [​IMG]

The first night, we had some venison scraps leftover, so we put a hunk of meat halfway between the push lever and the back of the trap. The coon reached over the lever, grabbed the meat, and got way.

Second night, we twist tied the piece of meat to the back wall of the trap. The coon untwisted the tie from outside trap to free the meat, went in, reached over the trip lever, and got another tasty morsel that night.

Third night, we staked the trap down with 6 tent stakes, and smeared peanut butter all over the ground and on the trip lever. The [email protected] thing flipped the trap and licked the grass clean. [​IMG]

We finally got it by tying a piece of meat from the roof of the trap hanging down about 2 inches so it'd have to really get in there and mess with it to get it undone. Picture a twine ball around the piece of meat. [​IMG]. It worked!

Good luck. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  9. ray2310

ray2310 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Smithfield, PA
    I have had excellent success with marshmallows. I didn't want to use cat food because that's what my cats eat.

10. ChickcrazyCharlie

ChickcrazyCharlie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    Leesburg, FL
    As everyone has posted, you can use almost anything. The problem is they have to get in the trap before the other varmints do. Possums will kill chickens too, so kill all you can. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by