Trashcan for grain stored in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Arielle, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm trying to layout the inside of a new coop. I want to eliminate the store room which is 3 x 4. Will chickens try to get into a trash can with a lid on?

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

no, but they'll certainly roost on top of it. [​IMG] Now if they had opposable thumbs, it might be a different story... [​IMG]

3. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I have one in my chicken coop, and they have not ever gotten into it. Every once in a while, they poop on it, which makes for an interesting time opening it. [​IMG]

4. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Chillin' With My Peeps

I have all my feed in barrels inside of my coop,with wood lids.The only problem I've ever come across is the poop on the lid. Or an occasional egg in the feed if I forgot the lid off...lol...

5. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Quote:You lucky if its only every once and a while. Mine is covered with poo every time I go out to feed them and now that I scrap it off every day (I couldn't do it in the winter, it was frozen) they do it all the more. [​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Okay, okay, okay .. . . .I can live with out the storage room IF I'm willing to live with a LOT of Poo. Yuk!

7. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    You could hinge a board over the top of the storage barrel, like the slanted tops they use for nestboxes. When you need to get to the feed, just lift the board.

8. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Trash cans work great, chickens poop and poop and poop all over em [​IMG]

9. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Don't know what your options are but I keep mine in a plastic garbage can with fitting lid outside the coop in my barn aisle way. If your wanting the floor space for the coop rather than the feed area why can't it store outside the coop? If no barn, can't it be stored in the garage and you take your feed can/scoop out as needed to refill the feeders? My hens if given the surface they can roost on will... and poop too.

10. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    I need floor space in my coop, so I have a sealable 55 gal drum ( comercial pickle barrel), outside my coop. It stays shaded so there is no condensation forming inside the barrel. I keep feed, scratch, and sunflower seeds in it. Moisture would not be good in the barrel due to mold in the feed. So if you have it shaded you will be fine,IMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by