Trasporting pullets

sneakytoes02

Chirping
Apr 27, 2017
Central Alberta, Canada
Hello, I am just starting my flock, and need to transport 2 dozen pullets. I can't afford fancy transport cages yet and am wondering if uhaul boxes in small or medium will work? Will be transporting them in a station wagon, so fully enclosed. If this can be done, how many can I put in each box?
Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Hello, I am just starting my flock, and need to transport 2 dozen pullets. I can't afford fancy transport cages yet and am wondering if uhaul boxes in small or medium will work? Will be transporting them in a station wagon, so fully enclosed. If this can be done, how many can I put in each box?
Thank you for any advice you can provide.
It really depends.

How old are the pullets? I'm looking for approximate size. Fully grown?

How far?

what are the dimensions of the uhaul boxes? 2 cube or 4 cube? or something else?

You'll have a hard time fitting 24 birds in a station wagon if they're fully grown.

I fit 3 fully grown, and 3 - 16 week olds in a 2x2x4 box, for a very short drive. With the 4' side as their floor. They didn't like it, but they did technically fit. I had air holes cut in the top.

It really depends.

How old are the pullets? I'm looking for approximate size. Fully grown?

How far?

what are the dimensions of the uhaul boxes? 2 cube or 4 cube? or something else?

You'll have a hard time fitting 24 birds in a station wagon if they're fully grown.

I fit 3 fully grown, and 3 - 16 week olds in a 2x2x4 box, for a very short drive. With the 4' side as their floor. They didn't like it, but they did technically fit. I had air holes cut in the top.
12 weeks old. I have 2x2x2 and 2x2x4 boxes. I plan to build custom crates to fit my wagon, but haven't been able to finish them yet.

12 weeks old. I have 2x2x2 and 2x2x4 boxes. I plan to build custom crates to fit my wagon, but haven't been able to finish them yet.
You might maybe be able to fit 4 or maybe 5 in a 2x2, but you wouldn't want them in there too long. Like under 30 mins. It'll be a really tight fit. You didn't say how far it was. Is it possible to make 2 trips?

You might maybe be able to fit 4 or maybe 5 in a 2x2, but you wouldn't want them in there too long. Like under 30 mins. It'll be a really tight fit. You didn't say how far it was. Is it possible to make 2 trips?
It's about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic and weather. Don't really have the fuel for 2 trips. It's an old 60's wagon. It fits 6 2x2x4 boxes if I make the 4' side the floor.

yeah, you should be able to get them that way. They'll have a little bit of room to not be snuggled right up against each other if you put 4 per box. I don't know your location but so long as it's not summer where you are, they should be fine for that long in boxes.

Thank you for the info. I'm in central AB, Canada, so they might actualy enjoy the warmth of being that close together. Lol.
Putting 4 birds per box in an eight square foot area is plenty of room. Make sure you cut a lot of about 1" air holes in the top and around the upper sides of the boxes. They will build up a lot of heat in those boxes and you actually don't want that. Put some pine shavings in the bottoms of the boxes to absorb waste.
They will NOT enjoy the ride. They will be terrified. I transported three 7 month old pullets in a small dog crate of about 2.2 square feet for a 1.5 hour trip. They never made a peep in the back of the car. They made the journey just fine and are now some of the best birds in my flock.
I would advise that you carefully examine each bird prior to putting her in the box. You will be looking for signs of disease or parasites. Look at the vents, under wings for signs of mites or lice. Look at eyes and nares and comb color and over all feather condition. They should look bright, clear and alert with good plumage.
When you get home and remove them from the boxes, exam them again. You are looking for injury this time.
I would suggest giving them one water container with just fresh plain water and a second with electrolytes for the first three days. Also give them some Poultry Nutri-drench or Rooster Booster in their feed for the first three days as well to help them recover from the stress of the move.
Good luck and congratulations on the new flock!

Putting 4 birds per box in an eight square foot area is plenty of room. Make sure you cut a lot of about 1" air holes in the top and around the upper sides of the boxes. They will build up a lot of heat in those boxes and you actually don't want that. Put some pine shavings in the bottoms of the boxes to absorb waste.
They will NOT enjoy the ride. They will be terrified. I transported three 7 month old pullets in a small dog crate of about 2.2 square feet for a 1.5 hour trip. They never made a peep in the back of the car. They made the journey just fine and are now some of the best birds in my flock.
I would advise that you carefully examine each bird prior to putting her in the box. You will be looking for signs of disease or parasites. Look at the vents, under wings for signs of mites or lice. Look at eyes and nares and comb color and over all feather condition. They should look bright, clear and alert with good plumage.
When you get home and remove them from the boxes, exam them again. You are looking for injury this time.
I would suggest giving them one water container with just fresh plain water and a second with electrolytes for the first three days. Also give them some Poultry Nutri-drench or Rooster Booster in their feed for the first three days as well to help them recover from the stress of the move.
Good luck and congratulations on the new flock!
Thank you. I hadn't thought of the extra electrolytes, or the special additives for their food at the beginning. Thank you also for the tips on examining them.

Back
Top Bottom