Trauma and day old chick

asherjasper

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 20, 2010
While I was out with my kids today, the door was accidentally opened and cat came in and ate all but one of my chicks.
sad.png
I am so so so sad. The one that is left is shaky and visibly traumatized. there was one baby left in the incubator too that I have put in with him. Is there anything else i can do to help the traumatized chick? I just feel sick.

Oh how awful for you!!! I'm so sorry that happened, to you and the chicks. But such is the circle of life, I guess.

I wish I had advice for you - I'll be watching this thread to see what others say. I've never had that happen quite so extremely, though I lost one outdoor chick recently to (I presume) the cats, and the remaining chicks with their mother are fine.

I am SO sorry for your tragic loss. You did well in putting the other baby with the lone chick -- having a buddy will help greatly with the shock and the trauma. Keep them both warm, and you might try putting some electrolytes in the water for a day or two. You didn't mention how the cat got to the babies except that a door was accidentally left open, but you might need to go back and make sure the two remaining littles ones are in a safe, secure brooder with a top and sides the cat can't dislodge, push aside, or get through.
hugs.gif

Thank you.
I just noticed that the one left behind has a cut above his eye (on the eyelid just above the eyeball). Should I put something on it/bathe it/or leave it alone. It's a tiny bit bloody but dry. He is not opening the eye.

hugs.gif

How traumatic for you! I'm sorry for your loss and for the trauma.

The good news is that birds tend to be very resilient regarding trauma--it's a survival thing--life in the wild is brutish and short and they wouldn't last long if they couldn't overcome trauma pretty quickly.

I raise ducks, not chickens, so I can't help you with the practical concerns, but I suspect that having a buddy and some quiet and peace will go a long way.

Also, I don't have indoor pets so I don't have to worry about it any more, but when I had a cat and also kept pet mice, I had a large rubbermaid tub with a locking lid for their home. I had removed the central portion of the lid and replaced it with 1/4" hardware mesh (hot glued down). After the mice all passed on and I was raising ducks, I used that same container for a brooder and it was great. The cat would sit on top of it and watch the babies, lol, but he couldn't get in to them and they didn't seem to mind the audience.

Now I use open-topped brooders because, like I said, I don't have that worry. But if you can get your hands on hardware mesh, it's a quick and inexpensive way to make a kitty-proof enclosure.
smile.png

So sorry for your loss, and I hope the chickie recovers quickly.

Back
Top Bottom