Traumatized Rescue Hen

thewatsonfarm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 22, 2015
Orange County, California
20170524_194219.jpg
We just rescued a 4 year old hen. She lived alone in a small pen, with no flock, and never at anything but grower or laying mash. She arrived terrified, poor sweet girl. I have tried to give her raisins as a treat, but she wouldn't even look at it. Didn't eat the greens I gave her either.

Right now she's separated from our flock of four. They can see each other, but not touch. She has a small coop with nesting box and run, but she seems anxious to escape it.

The other girls spend their days free-ranging. Our new girl has never seen that before. Do you think she will learn from the others? I was pretty surprised she wouldn't eat her greens....

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!

I would just give her plenty of time to observe the others from the safety of her own coop and eventually she will become more relaxed. It may just take a bit longer than introducing a hen from normal circumstances. Patience will be the key and good for you for rescuing her. You will be her chance for a happy future.

Lucille, an EE, continues to surprise me! This morning I went into the run where she is isolated, to check on her food and water, and as I came in, she slipped out right past me, into the yard! She headed straight for the flock, and was really aggressive, starting fights with my two older hens, one of whom is also an EE.

I grabbed her and put her back in the run, but here I had been thinking she is a scared little thing, and I was worried about my girls attacking her, but then she goes and attacks two of my girls first!

Once I pick her up, all of her fight dissapates, and she is calm and sweet. She's such a little mystery to me!

Is this normal??? I stopped the fight because she shouldn't be physically interacting with the flock yet. She's a rescue and we've only had her a few days, and while she sure looked healthy while attacking Annie & Olga, I haven't had a chance to take her to the vet yet.

I know there will be some rough interactions ahead, but I really didn't expect Lucille to be an aggressor....

Back
Top Bottom