1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treat list... anyone?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BantamBabesFarm, Apr 21, 2012.

1. BantamBabesFarm

BantamBabesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Gloucester, VA
    Is there a list of acceptable treats you can give chicks? I've seen some information here and there but im curious what people do here...

So far Ive gathered from searching, Strawberries, Cherrios... What else? Specificly. What about salteen crackers? Will the little salt on them hurt the chicks?

2. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado

i never thought about giving them cheerios.
    My kids have accidentaly dropped pop tarts in the cage and they went nuts for it. lol.

Mine loved chopped up hard boiled eggs but i had to mix some sand into it as well.
    They also love worms from the garden, and dandelions.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Crackers should be okay, just keep it to an occasional treat if they're very salty. I give my chickens things like cooked chicken and egg (very popular one), fruit such as grapes, yoghurt's another good one, and biscuits.

4. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

my girls get yogert everynight now they wait for it i give them berry, cherry all the fruite flavor ones but boy they are a mess afterwords. i gave them choped up strawberry yesterday and a piece of 7 grain whole wheat bread today. meal worms the other day that was so funny to watch.

5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
  6. Mohntr

Mohntr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Meat and fat, cooked are a favorite with my girls.

7. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011

I find this too. We often give them fatty scraps that nobody wants. :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by