Treated chickens with Corid for 7 days and still getting bloody poop

Skyla

Chirping
Aug 10, 2017
Northern Wisconsin
Hello,
I've never had any bloody poop until last week when I introduced 2 new birds to the flock. Within 2 days I started noticing the bloody poop and one of the new ones was acting especially sick. I started treating them when I noticed as I already had Corid on hand from treating the flock a few months ago (as a preventative) and used 2 teaspoons per gallon of liquid Corid. I had read that the bloody poop would clear up within a day or 2 but a week later I am still getting bloody poops. Do they not have coccidiosis? What else could be causing this bloody poop? They haven't lost their appetite and 4 of the 7 act completely normal, the other 3 will still eat and drink and walk/scratch around but they will also spend a good portion of the day puffed up and eyes closed. Would greatly appreciate any help, very concerned and confused.
IMG_0558.jpg

Bloody poops can also be caused by internal parasites. I would get a fecal from your local vet. They aren't very expensive and even if they don't usually see chickens they will usually do a fecal test for cocci and worms. Are you giving any sort of vitamins? That can cancel out the Amprolium.

Bloody poops can also be caused by internal parasites. I would get a fecal from your local vet. They aren't very expensive and even if they don't usually see chickens they will usually do a fecal test for cocci and worms. Are you giving any sort of vitamins? That can cancel out the Amprolium.
I have a lot of vets near me and I've called all of them and only one was willing to test the chicken poop and it would be $50 to do, a fecal test by all means would be great for knowing what they have but I would rather avoid the cost, is there anything for worms that is basically an all in one so I don't have to target a specific worm? I am not giving them any sort of vitamins that I know of.

I have a lot of vets near me and I've called all of them and only one was willing to test the chicken poop and it would be $50 to do, a fecal test by all means would be great for knowing what they have but I would rather avoid the cost, is there anything for worms that is basically an all in one so I don't have to target a specific worm? I am not giving them any sort of vitamins that I know of.
I understand where you are coming from. It is not advisable to treat without knowing what you are treating for, however I understand that this is often necessary. You can use Safe-Guard. I believe the liquid dose is to be given orally to each chicken at 1/4 ml per pound or at about 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Don't put it in the water.

I understand where you are coming from. It is not advisable to treat without knowing what you are treating for, however I understand that this is often necessary. You can use Safe-Guard. I believe the liquid dose is to be given orally to each chicken at 1/4 ml per pound or at about 1.25 ml for a 5 pound chicken. Don't put it in the water.
How long do I do it for and what is the withdraw period?

Can you tell me why you discourage using Safe Guard in water? Gail Damerow gives that as an option - 3ml x gallon for three days. Repeat in 10 days. I'm in day two of that process treating for tapeworm. I'm nervous about putting medication into their mouths directly.

Can you tell me why you discourage using Safe Guard in water? Gail Damerow gives that as an option - 3ml x gallon for three days. Repeat in 10 days. I'm in day two of that process treating for tapeworm. I'm nervous about putting medication into their mouths directly.
That is misinformation. Putting Safeguard in water dilutes effectiveness and it doesnt mix well in water at all. Safeguard does not treat tapeworms. You need Equimax equine paste to kill the tapeworms.
Equimax dosage is given orally 0.03ml per pound or 0.15ml for a 5 pound hen.

That is misinformation. Putting Safeguard in water dilutes effectiveness and it doesnt mix well in water at all. Safeguard does not treat tapeworms. You need Equimax equine paste to kill the tapeworms.
Equimax dosage is given orally 0.03ml per pound or 0.15ml for a 5 pound hen.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom