1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Treated or untreated wood

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by PhlyinPheBee, Apr 10, 2009.

1. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    can you use treated wood for the inside and outside??? Or would it hurt them if they pecked on it??

2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    You can use it for inside and out. Not much need for inside though, unless you're just thinking of the floor.

Modern treated lumber is copper based instead of arsenic based, so it's much safer. Doesn't last near as long however.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used treated lumber for the frame under the coop. I used untreated for the rest of the coop.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Chickens don't eat wood (unless it is dead-rotten, then you've got bigger problems anyhow [​IMG]). The worst that can happen is some of the chemicals leach into the ground, are taken up by invertebrates or plants, then the chickens eat the invertebrates or plants... by the time you do the math, enh, teensy number in most scenarios.

I use p/t lumber (including the old CCA stuff) for posts sunk in the ground, and anything ground-contact. Can't afford cedar, can't afford to rebuild it all every 5-8ish years either [​IMG]

If you *are* worried, spring for cedar or redwood or look for a source for black locust or osage orange, they are all pretty rot-resistant. No point in any of that for things that are not ground-contact, though.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. PhlyinPheBee

PhlyinPheBee Poodles, Chicken, Goats--OH MY!!

Mar 11, 2009
    Northeast Louisiana
    Thank you so very much. I will pass this info on to my Dad who is going to be building my Mom a chick house/coop/run. [​IMG]

We got some great ideas off of this fourm. [​IMG]

I just love BYC!!!!!! [​IMG]

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Lotsa great folks on BYC.

Glad you are here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by