treating a parsons nose wound??

erinszoo

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
North Central Oklahoma
Our big white holland tom has taken to strutting around ... continuously. No joke. With his tail always raised, the chickens have started pecking his parsons nose. We bluekoted him, but the next morning they had pecked a chunk out. We bluekoted again and they are still pecking at him. We separate them during the day but apparantly one the turkeys hens has joined in the pecking. Not sure what else to do or try. Should we try wrapping it in gauze or something? I would think they would just peck the wrapping but I can't put him by himself anywhere at night. Any help? Thanks.

I guess I should add that it doesn't seem to be bothering the tom at all. He doesn't even react to them.

Last edited:
Turkeys are very curious creatures. If peck at anything that attracts their attention. It might have just started out as one male trying to climb the pecking order latter, but if you introduced a new color to their world, they will all peck at it. You might try some flavor the hate, like vanilla or mint t the area, but separation is the best advice I can give, until it heals. Do you have a cage you can put him into at night and put the cage inside the barn or coop? I keep extra large cages mounted to the hospital stall of the barn for the sick rooms. Wish I could be of more help.
hu.gif
Frank might be able to give you a better idea, he's much better with turkeys! Where are you Frank! Frank? Frank?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom