Treating bumblefoot with tricide-neo

Hi,
I am new to this. Reaching out for some advice. I have a rooster with a swollen foot pad. Warm to the touch, but not hot. He has resorted to laying down. Ive isolated him, and ive been soaking his foot 3x a day in warm water and epsom salt to draw a scab. I for the life of me can't find a scab that looks like pictures of bumblefoot. I know he has a yellow discoloration under his one nail, but he has the same marking on the same toe on his good foot. I will try to post pictures. Both feet, good foot, and then bad foot. Any advice would be so helpful in telling if it is bumblefoot. Thanks so much!!!

So everyone mentions soaking but not how. I have a small plastic tub. I assume you just pour enough in yo cover the foot and let them stand in it. Assuming the liquid will get underneath the foot while its in the mixture?

When I soaked my rooster's foot, I put a couple of inches of the soaking solution in a 5 gallon bucket, put the rooster in the bucket and put a milk crate over the top of the bucket to keep him in the bucket.

This will only work if your chicken is not holding the foot up because of pain.

Quote:

In my case, a good diet and care goes without saying. I'm not sure what I could do to improve the quality of life for my birds and their diet. They have a premium commerical layer crumble available at all times (with flax) for omega 3 qualification. The ladies free-range in lush pasture and because they are a small flock, they all have access to plenty of bugs and worms and goodies. I also feed them BOSS and yogurt daily as a treat and peanuts, raisins, hard-boiled eggs, and melons occasionally. I also have wide, smooth roosts for my birds that I clean daily. And I clean my coop daily as well (bedding mixed with DE), a habit I got into with my horses and carry on with the birds.

I'm fairly confident that I'm doing everything I can to provide for my birds.

It's also interesting to note that even though I provide the best care and supplemented diet for my horses, there is still one that gets abscesses (which is really what bumblefoot is) on a fairly regular basis - something he is just prone to apparently.

I realize this thread is eons old, but I just learned today from a Tricide Neo company (Koi Acres) that people have soaked their horses feet for abscesses in this also. Zoo keepers order this from them for their polar bears, sharks, Turtles with propeller wounds, so sounds like really good stuff.

I have noticed that most people post their treatments and cures but never mention the importance of a good diet. Just feeding pellets or crumbles alone is not enough. A chickens immune system must be up and running in addition to treatments. I am feeding my hen a combination of enriched pellets with vitamin A mixed with flax seed, oats, spirlena powder, dehulled sunflower seeds, with freeze dried meal worms(protein) all mixed together with added green foods she gets from the yard. It is very important that they receive a rich and well balanced diet along with what ever treatment you choose to give.
Where do you find those spirlena powder and dehulled sunflower seeds? And the vitamin A? I want to give my chicken healthy food.

Quote:

The foot has to be soaked in the distilled water/tricide neo mixture 5-7 minutes, twice a day. The dosage is a little bit less than a tablespoon for one gallon of water. You can cut that dosage in half to save the trineo powder (half tablespoon per 2 quarts of water.) The trineo mixture is good for 5 days, then you must change it out and make a new batch. After soaking, dry the foot off well and apply neosporin to the affected area. You can wrap it up if you wish. Trineo works, I've used it. It seems to clear up small bumblefoot in about a week's time. For bigger bumblefoot it seems it may take up to a month or more. I never had any large bumblefoot problems, I wouldve performed minor surgery just to save time. It has been recommended that if you have already done minor surgery on it, you shouldnt use the trineo mixture. However, I know others have used it after minor surgery with no adverse effects reported. Good luck.
Do you know if I would be able to use 1/4 of a tablespoon with one quart of water to make it last even longer? Or would 1/4 tablespoon be too small of an amount to do anything?

Back
Top Bottom