Treating chicks with Flubendazole for gapeworm

half_enchilada

In the Brooder
Jul 25, 2022
New Mexico
Hi! So I have five 6 1/2 week old bantam chicks who have been doing that thing where they look like they’re gagging (they open their mouth and kind of stick out their tongue), and they’ve been doing it since they were almost 4 weeks old. At first I thought it was just chick fluff getting in their throats, but they haven’t had fluff for more than a week and a half now. I don’t know how they could have gotten gapeworm (we only have one rooster who is kept completely separate and doesn’t have any symptoms anyway) but it really seems like it’s very possible by the way they are acting. I ordered flubendazole for chickens, but the directions don’t say anything about it being safe for baby chicks or not, especially bantams. I feel like I should treat them to be safe, but I don’t know if it’s unsafe treating them. On top of that, I don’t know how to dose for such small chicks and only 5 of them at that. I would so appreciate anyone with any experience in this, any advice! Thanks for taking the time to read!

Thank you both, I will try to get a video today. I haven’t started adding granite yet because they’re still only eating chick grower crumble and I was under the impression they don’t need granite until they start adding more to their diet. I hope it’s only a crop issue, that would be much less scary. Do either of you know if it is even safe to give this young of chicks gapeworm treatment? I wish I knew of a vet who worked with chickens, but I unfortunately do not. The chicks are still pretty small, and they’re bantams. They do eat a lot, maybe they’re just eating too fast? I appreciate you taking the time to write back 🥰!

Gapeworm is usually pretty rare— especially in young chicks that are kept inside a brooder. Chicks can do this for many reasons from disease or something struck in their throats.

So, it’s been a couple weeks since I wrote last and my chicks still are doing the gagging thing fairly often, so I’m still worried. I know they could just be adjusting their crops, but I can’t help but think it’s more. A lot of people have said it’s pretty rare for gapeworm to actually be the problem, so I feel like maybe I’m being paranoid? I have the treatment for them but haven’t given it to them because I’m very unsure of how to dose them since they’re still pretty small. Does anyone know if it’s dangerous to give them too big of a dose? I know if I don’t give them enough the worms (if they have them) can develop a tolerance and get worse. Also wondering if anyone knows the best way to administer the treatment to 8 week old chicks? Thanks in advance!!!!

Back
Top Bottom