Treating Cornish Cross with Corid

LexsPeeps

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Kentucky
I have month old cornish crosses that have bloody poo. I picked up some Corid for them, is the dosage still 2 teaspoons for 1 gallon of water?

Yes, if you have the liquid it's 2 tsp per gallon of water. Dosage chart below for reference, use severe out break dosing. If any are very sick and not drinking well you can also give some orally in addition to the medicated water, dosing is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/corid-oral-drench-instructions.1211991/

900x900px-LL-a380cae7_Untitled.jpeg

I've lost 3 out of 22 from it since after midnight Thursday. Did the whole Corid thing, but today anybody who still looks peaked were individually taken out of the brooder and force fed all the water with Corid they could stand. It seemed to perk them up for now. My check at 11:00 today, everyone looked good. Went back out at 2:00 and there was a pair of feet in the air.:he

I've lost 3 out of 22 from it since after midnight Thursday. Did the whole Corid thing, but today anybody who still looks peaked...

Sorry for your losses! I've heard Cocci is very stressful, maybe try some electrolytes and probiotics? I was going to add them the the water after they drink this gallon, they drink over a gallon a day now

Just make sure that what ever you use does not contain Thiamine (B1) during treatment, as it may reduce the effectiveness of the medication. Some electrolites and probiotics also contain vitamins, so check your labels. I always follow up when treatment is complete with vitamins and probiotics to help get the gut back in balance.

I've lost 3 out of 22 from it since after midnight Thursday. Did the whole Corid thing, but today anybody who still looks peaked were individually taken out of the brooder and force fed all the water with Corid they could stand. It seemed to perk them up for now. My check at 11:00 today, everyone looked good. Went back out at 2:00 and there was a pair of feet in the air.:he

This is a case when the oral dose in addition can be very helpful. If they don't drink well they won't get enough medication. Giving them the oral dose(s) can get them feeling well enough to drink better on their own. I have never experienced it, but there are some strains reportedly becoming resistant to amprolium (Corid), so if you are not getting good results you may need to try a sulfa antibiotic or toltrazuril. I would confirm for sure that it's coccidiosis with a fecal if at all possible, if you haven't already.

Sorry for your losses! I've heard Cocci is very stressful, maybe try some electrolytes and probiotics? I was going to add them the the water after they drink this gallon, they drink over a gallon a day now
I have my NutriDrench ready. I'm think to give them some watermelon juice after the NutriDrench. My 6 month old RIRs love it and they are very healthy.

Just make sure that what ever you use does not contain Thiamine (B1) during treatment, as it may reduce the effectiveness of the medication. Some electrolites and probiotics also contain vitamins, so check your labels. I always follow up when treatment is complete with vitamins and probiotics to help get the gut back in balance.

This is a case when the oral dose in addition can be very helpful. If they don't drink well they won't get enough medication. Giving them the oral dose(s) can get them feeling well enough to drink better on their own. I have never experienced it, but there are some strains reportedly becoming resistant to amprolium (Corid), so if you are not getting good results you may need to try a sulfa antibiotic or toltrazuril. I would confirm for sure that it's coccidiosis with a fecal if at all possible, if you haven't already.
I've been taking notes as I visit with them throughout the day. I'm seeing no more blood now and poos are returning to normal. I guess that's a good thing, I am offering extra water containers with Corid in it to make sure everyone has plenty of access and they are all at least drinking right now. I have 4 in quarantine that I saw poop bloody, the rest are eating and drinking and running and posturing, so I guess they feel pretty good. Both coops are getting Corid treatment right now.

I have my NutriDrench ready. I'm think to give them some watermelon juice after the NutriDrench. My 6 month old RIRs love it and they are very healthy.

If you are treating with Corid you should not give nutri drench or watermelon at the same time as treatment. Nutri drench contains thiamine (read the small print ingredients list), it can reduce the effectiveness of the amprolium. Watermelon is going to reduce their intake of water and thus reduce their intake of medication. Nothing but normal feed, and medicated water until treatment is complete.

Just make sure that what ever you use does not contain Thiamine (B1) during treatment, as it may reduce the effectiveness of the medication. Some electrolites and probiotics also contain vitamins, so check your labels...

Wow I had no idea, glad I haven't given any vitamins to them yet because their water intake slowed with the sickness. But they are doing better, no bloody poo and no more huddling together in a corner. Thank you for the information, I will definately wait till treatment is over to give them the other stuff

Back
Top Bottom