Treating Feather Lice--Adams Spray vs Mycodex vs Seven

tinydancer87

Songster
13 Years
Apr 5, 2011
SE Georgia
Ok, so my chickens have feather lice. I have dusted with Seven before. Seven is usually highly recommended around here, and it did work. But it is kinda difficult and time-consuming. Then I considered Eprinex and other pour-ons, but they just seemed too dangerous; I just need something for the outside of the bird since I worm regularly.

So, I decided to do a little research on topicals. At the vet clinic where I work we carry Mycodex Spray. It is 0.15% pyrethrin, and quite pricey for a smallish bottle. The doctor told me it is safe for birds, and we used it on a lice-infested dove with no ill-effects. And I mean I soaked that sucker because he was COVERED. And it smells pretty good too.
tongue.png

Adams Flea and Tick Mist is 0.15% pyrethrin, and the other ingredients are also pretty much identical to Mycodex.

Adams Plus Mist is 0.18% pyrethrin, and contains Nylar, an insect growth regulator (prevents babies from maturing and sterilizes adults). I'm guessing the "plus" is the extra 0.03% pyrethrin.

My theory is, if chickens can tolerate inhaling and ingesting Seven, then we should have no problems with any of the sprays.

I found a thread on here where the poster said she knew a breeder who sprayed topicals one of two ways: all over, gently wetting the feathers, or right on the skin in spots under the wings, back of the neck, and vent area. I read it is excellent for scaly leg mites.

Has anyone else used any of the sprays for feather lice? Is there a withdrawal for eggs? I don't think that a withdrawal period is needed, but please chime in if you know otherwise!

My chickens have literally a nest of lice over their vents, as well as throughout the body I am sure. I am going to get some of this spray tomorrow, and I will update on its effectiveness.

Last edited:
Sevin dust does NOT have 0.25% pyrethrin in it. Sevin dust has 5% carbaryl and 95% DE. Here's a link, scroll down to the bottom:
http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022001
Eprinex and ivermectin pour on will not kill lice. They will kill mites.
I havnt used any of the sprays, sevin dust has done its job for me. I've read that coconut oil can be used to remove lice eggs.
When you dust chickens, you'll need to redust them in 10 days to kill nits hatched from eggs, ending their lifecycle. The inside of their coop will need to be dusted including roosts and nests, repeat dusting again in 10 days.

Last edited:
You're right, I don't know where I saw that about the Sevin dust, but it was clearly wrong! ANd kinda sad since I have a container under the sink that I can clearly read.
hide.gif

I have done the Sevin before, I am just looking for something easier to administer.

This is what I now use and it works for me well. But..I never have a large load because when I change bedding it gets top dressed with 7 dust.

Permethrin based Mite and Lice Body-Spray
Dissolve into 1 gallon of water 1/2 oz plus 1 teaspoon of 10% Permethrin EC.
(10% is what you will most likely see and is usually widely available. TSC and all co-ops carry it)
I take this gallon of solution and use it to fill my quart bottle sprayer. Spray birds until they are wet but not soaked making sure to get into the down around the rear of bird (vent). Must repeat at least once at 10 days.
If my math is correct this works out to be .17%

You're right, I don't know where I saw that about the Sevin dust, but it was clearly wrong! ANd kinda sad since I have a container under the sink that I can clearly read.
hide.gif

I have done the Sevin before, I am just looking for something easier to administer.

You probably got that from seeing a different garden dust. I have seen a couple other brands of "garden dust" that are .25% pyrethrin or permethrin.

Back
Top Bottom